Garand #4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Garand #4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Garand #4

Just got my fourth CMP Garand today. This is a later production SA. Actually better than expected as the stock is walnut and not many dings in the wood. Also no cracks or broken wood on the stock. I will strip it down and do a though check in a few days, refinish the stock and so on. Muzzle gauges a 2 and the throat is a 4. Not bad for a field grade M1. As it has been my OPINION, this is about the best deal for an M1. $550.00 delivered, I think, is a pretty good deal in todays world. Other folks may not share the same thoughts.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Excuse me while I go pout in the corner over there.....

(Wheres the pics??!!??!)

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #3

Pics will come shortly. Trez I think you wanted an IHC.....as stated in another posting keep your eye out and one will surface

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have personally handled many of them with MW as high as 6-7.You got lucky, most Field Grades are in need of a rebarrel
This amount of wear is still within the grade description. Todays Field Grades are yesterdays Rack Grades.
IMO a Service Grade for $625 is a much better deal. You will not have to worry about a rifle that wont be a good shooter
Congrats on the new Garand

Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #5

As I have purchased a fair number of Garands over the years, including Danish returns among others, I have yet to run across one that did not fit the grading system for the rifle purchased. If yesterdays rack grade is now todays field grade then there must be a degree of fraud going on in the grading system at the CMP as the description has not changed over the years. Bottom line is this..I have not over the years been disappointed with a field grade M1. Perhaps others have. I have needed to do some wood refinishing as I have on all C&R rifles I have purchased and these came from who knows where. As stated in the disclamer these are not new rifles. It is part of the collecting game. Another consideration for some folks may be that extra $100.00. $550.00 delivered for a field grade may be affordable for some folks. $650.00 delivered for a service grade may not. Guess it is up to the individual if they want to spend the extra bucks.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #6

I to have been buying ,shooting, building Garands for 10 years
There is no fraud as the Field Grades still fall within the grade description but alot of them are at the bottom of it. The Grade description did change slightly in the last few years
I have handled many, many ,many hundreds of them over the years and have seen all the grade descriptions start to slip towards the bottom some
Still nice rifles but I would never take a chance on mail order on a Field Grade
Its alot cheaper to buy a Service Grade than a Field Grade and have to get anew barrel installed
JMO yours may vary

Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #7

Where to start. I am sure you have had lots of experience building and rebuilding Garands in the 10 years. I too have had experience with Garands, Enfields, Mausers, Springfields, Krags, Mosins, Lugers and numerous sporting arms over my 30+ years of collecting and working in the armory at Ft. Sill, Ok. during my 6 years in the army. In most cases a field grade rifle will do a person quite well without having to spend too much money. If a person feels so inclined to spend the extra $100.00 good for him (or her). Remember what an M1 was designed for, a combat infantry weapon. It is not a tack driving target rifle without serious modification. If a person is looking for seriously accurate M1, they should probably opt to have a new barrel installed as a field or service grade rifle will not satisfy them. Guess it is just a matter of a money race. This is why I gave up competitive shooting. THAT is another story however.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #8

I am not a competative shooter and never was. Just a lover of the sport of shooting and the Garand.
I agree that if you can handpick a Field Grade they can be a good deal.
I do own several Field Grades but today would never take the chance on mail order
The rifle you received is not the condition of all Field Grades . If you mail order it is very likely to get a rifle rifle with much more wear
I was only making a point so someone wouldnt place a order and then be dissapointed when they didnt get a rifle that was as yours
The best thing to do is buy the best rifle you can afford, then read the grade description and expect to get exactly that. Anything better is a bonus

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #9

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 106

If I get a service grade should I expect a nice rifle? Would it basically have a good stock and great bore?

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #10

Caveat Emptor should be the rule of thumb whenever making a purchase on a mail order basis. This being said buying mail order from the CMP may be the only way, due to distance or some other factor, that a person can obtain an M1 at a reasonable price. My purchases from the old DCM (one rifle only at that time) and subsequent purchases from the CMP (both field and service grade) have met or exceeded expectations. This has been my experience. Other folks may have had a sad experience. Purchases from other sources, for me, have netted mixed results. This is part of the C&R game. BTW, I should be able to post some photos of the finished product if I can complete some "honey do" projects that are ahead of the M1.