Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > FTE problems with my mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default FTE problems with my mosin

Out the the blue my nagant has started to not eject smoothly. Could there be a problem with my bolt, or is this just the end of my mosins days of smooth operation?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

Is the case getting stuck in the barrel? what kind of ammo are you using?
Could it be shellack from the ammo or some other sticky substance that is not letting the case be removed? Or is the extractor weak?
When was the last time you cleaned it thoroughly?
Sorry for all the questions, But it might help us help you.
Best of luck

Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

How many shots fired?

How long have you had the rifle?

If this cropped up after sudden firing of many

shots, you could be experiencing dried cosmoline

melting in your chamber from the heat.

If you are sure this is not

the case, you may just need a new extractor

on your bolt.

Be sure your chamber is clean and free of

goo and obstructions. A prime cause of

many combloc milsurp jams is dirty

or cosmo-ed chambers.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts

Default Mosin forums std fare, the annual question of sticking bolts

one great sight that addresses this issue is Surpluserifle.com

'I must be in paradise. I had a good morning of grouse hunting under my belt and a hearty lunch stretching it. My dog was napping in the back of the truck and I now had a chance to try out my “new” war time Mosin Nagant 91/30 at the local gravel pit. I set out a target by the backstop, paced off 50 yards and got down into a good prone position. My first shot kicked up a satisfying spray of gravel directly behind my target. I grabbed the bolt and immediately knew that there was trouble in my rosy paradise world.

The bolt handle rotated about ¼ of an inch and locked up. After dumping the remaining rounds in the magazine, it took all my strength to rotate the bolt 90 degrees to open. Extracting the brass took a trick I had learned from one of my drill sergeants. Place the rifle butt on the ground and STOMP the bolt open! Obviously, I had, or more correctly, my rifle, had a problem.'

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2008) - Surplusrifle.com

Collecting and Shooting the Finnish Nagant M-39

Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 44

It sounds like a sticky chamber if it was that hard to open the bolt. Normaly if it is the extractor the bolt will open easily but just won't grab the casing. Clean the hell out of the chamber with a 20ga bore brush and a good solvent. If that doesn't work soak the bolt head in mineral spirits to free up the extractor.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #6

The weapon does appear clean, and the bolt operates every smoothly. Just the case is getting stuck in the extractor of the bolt.
I an going to soak it as mentioned above. If that does not work, where can I pick up a new extractor

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Google mosin parts, there is a sight which I forget the url at the moment has tons of loose Mosin parts. Extractor is about $12. I would recommend strippind down the bolt, removing the extractor and soaking it in mineral spirits. Sometimes the cosmo gets under the extractor and needs a thorough strip down. Scrubbing the chamber is also sound advise. Melted cosmo will harden to a varnish like substance and coat the inside of the chamber, a little heat softens it to a gummy, waxy substance that leads to a "sticky" bolt. A .223 chamber brush wrapped with a patch and some mineral spirits does a good job there.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

Alright thanks guys, that seems to cover all I need to know. Ill let you all know how it works out.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #9

Default Stroking your Mosin via youtube

Old 01-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #10

Default Mosin Pieces Parts

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=17