Finally! New M1 Grand...No it's not a misspell! - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Finally! New M1 Grand...No it's not a misspell!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
I am being cautious here and assuming that you are going to give the rifle the respect that it is due, but PLEASE DO NOT refer to any "real" firearm as a TOY. They are not toys, and to refer to them as such is detrimental to firearms owners who have fought long and hard to be able to own their weapons and keep the right to do so. Just my $0.02.
There's nothing I said that was detrimental. My M1 is not for SD, hunting, LE, or anything other than shooting pleasure, as is my presence on a gun forum, and getting lectured on how I refer to my gun is senseless. I've actually been around the block a few times. Get over it.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #42

I love my Garand also. Got it about 2 years ago from CMP. Did anyone see the show on history channel WW2 in HD. Watching the US soldiers drop them Japanese like fly's with their Garands was something. You could hear the distinctive pink of the en bloc's even. That was awesome.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #43

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxpilot View Post
There's nothing I said that was detrimental. My M1 is not for SD, hunting, LE, or anything other than shooting pleasure, as is my presence on a gun forum, and getting lectured on how I refer to my gun is senseless. I've actually been around the block a few times. Get over it.
One of the first things that I teach to pre-K 3 and 4 year-olds, and Kindergarteners in my Eddie Eagle Gun Safety classes is that "Guns are not toys," they can kill you. How you refer to your weapons in the privacy of your home is one thing. Just as there are things you say at home that you wouldn't say in public, I was just asking you to consider your choice of public words carefully. I was not lecturing you. You say that you have been around the block a few times, that may be so, but it isn't true for all forum members. Some are on the forum to learn about weapons and the handling of them. While I agree that they need formal trianing, we need to be conscious of the example we set for them.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #44

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My grandfather fought the Japanese in WW2. When I was 6 or 7 I ran up to him with a toy gun and said "pow pow pow" and he grabbed my by the arm, smacked me upside the head and lectured me about never pointing any sort of gun at anyone I didn't mean to kill, even a toy. It is a lecture I have never forgotten. Interestingly enough, the toy I pointed at him was a bright blue plastic M1 carbine.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny357 View Post
My grandfather fought the Japanese in WW2. When I was 6 or 7 I ran up to him with a toy gun and said "pow pow pow" and he grabbed my by the arm, smacked me upside the head and lectured me about never pointing any sort of gun at anyone I didn't mean to kill, even a toy. It is a lecture I have never forgotten. Interestingly enough, the toy I pointed at him was a bright blue plastic M1 carbine.
Sounds like grandad suffered a bit of PTSD maybe? Not sure bust'n you upside the head would have been the best way to teach you. Guess you never got to play cowboys and indians growing up?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #46

Glad that some don't care for Garands, as it means more for us lovers! First one I had was a brand new borrowed one that I signed for, and kept for many a moon at MCRD, San Diego. As Marine boot, I learned for me there was no finer, and qualified 2nd High Series Expert. It would do most things to put rounds into man sized targets up to 500 yards. In 1958, a new Garand cost $98, and a match grade new was $120. Lot of money for an E2, so I passed on perhaps a once in a lifetime buy. My first, second, and third buys were DCMs that cost $158, in about Excellent condition ( well above the service grade from CPM). Accumulated a match grade in a 7.62x51, and a had Tanker built from an bad barreled one picked up at a good price. A new shipment of the Greek 30-06 milsurp is probably the best buy going, from CMP, The bunch that was supposed to last a dozen years was sold out the first of last year. This new batch is supposed to last several years. Hornady makes a load for M1 Garands, and I have loaded them for years as well. Also used various 150 grain commercial, with no ill effects, and suspect these loads are very close to military specs. Heavy bullets and slow powder are not good unless you replace the gas cylinder plug with an adjustable one. Then, most anything will work within reason. If the ping of the empty clip is bothersome, the enemy was let tooo close! Rapid reloads are not difficult if you don't have to dig it out of a tight fitting pouch.
Careful. once bitten by the Garand bug, it's very easy to come in contact with the 30 Carbine bug. It took five of those bites before I could get away, and heal somewhat! Somehow, I seem not to be affected by the black rifle bug, as one Bushy, and a recent Spike Tactical lower with a Panther Pro Low 16" Bull barrel. It isn't totally in love nor do I care for the maintenance of impingment platform. I like piston driven stuff!!! It always works without a hitch.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #47

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
I am being cautious here and assuming that you are going to give the rifle the respect that it is due, but PLEASE DO NOT refer to any "real" firearm as a TOY. They are not toys, and to refer to them as such is detrimental to firearms owners who have fought long and hard to be able to own their weapons and keep the right to do so. Just my $0.02.
I think his use of the word toy was in the same vein as calling a giant speed boat a toy. The boat is just as dangerous, if used incorrectly, and many people could be injured or killed if common sense and safety isn't used.

Many people may toss around the word toy, referring to anything that is expensive and/or not a monotonous necessity in life. My house may not a toy, but my non-personal safety firearm collection could fall under that category. Other people, however, may use the exact same firearms that I have for plinking and pleasure in a very different way. The very same firearms may be a necessity for them!

However, I agree that you don't want to use that term lightly, especially when talking about firearms. Thanks for the heads up and warning...

Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
I think his use of the word toy was in the same vein as calling a giant speed boat a toy. The boat is just as dangerous, if used incorrectly, and many people could be injured or killed if common sense and safety isn't used.

Many people may toss around the word toy, referring to anything that is expensive and/or not a monotonous necessity in life. My house may not a toy, but my non-personal safety firearm collection could fall under that category. Other people, however, may use the exact same firearms that I have for plinking and pleasure in a very different way. The very same firearms may be a necessity for them!

However, I agree that you don't want to use that term lightly, especially when talking about firearms. Thanks for the heads up and warning...
I totally agree.. The toy comment was just being used the same as we use the term "stick" when describing our weapons. I've made references like that throughout this forum. We are amoung friends here. All like minded gun owners. There is nothing wrong in talking about our "toys"..

This has been a good read throughout it's five pages. Good advice given and information shared.