Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Finally! New M1 Grand...No it's not a misspell!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Shhh....Patton might hear you....
Yeah, he knows. He threw me in the brig. Again. What are you gonna do?

JD

Old 10-18-2008, 03:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Easy Bob - I am not trying to start anything here.

You have a dog legged op rod driven platform. The thing will run, and run well no matter what. The op rod is a proven design that will allow a weapon to run clean or dirty.

However, from an accuracy standpoint, this is not the best model. The kalashnikov has the same feature. It's reliable, but it's not as accurate as it could be. Adding to that, the barrel isn't free floated, and in fact, it's held firmly in place by a wood saddle & two straps. Adding the far front sling swivel, which wasn't designed to be a sling swivel in the first place, can add torque to the barrel directly. Plus the thing weighs a ton.

In what frame of reference? That of an apprentice rifle builder who has been taught to question everything about weapon designs to see if there are ways to improve them from an operational and accuracy standpoint.

It's a fine weapon that has a very prestigious line of service to man and country. I am not taking anything away from that when I say that I personally do not like a couple of features about the weapon.

JD
JD,
As always I appreciate your input and value your opinion. (as well as most others on this forum). For me I can at least put all my rounds on paper at 100 yds, which is all I could expect. Shoot, with my eyes I can't even see the target at 200 yds. I concede that if you want accuracy past that distance, probably a bolt action platform would be more stable and sturdy, but all things considered, I think we ended up with an all around damn fine firearm.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #23

PLEASE GUYS - My goal wasn't to run this weapon platform down. I think it was a great weapon at the time it was needed. To this day, it will still function, it will still be a reliable, get you out of the sh!t, get you home to see the family weapon. I respect the weapon, don't doubt that...

However, for me, PERSONALLY, I don't care for it in MY PERSONAL arsenal. That was all I was saying. Scott made a comment about who would not "love" the weapon, I was merely voicing the other side of the "argument"

There is nothing WRONG with the M1, or is there anything WRONG with the people that love it!

I was merely speaking from a core group of people who are NOT communist, nor a dead Nazi/Japanese that did not LOVE the weapon.

I have the utmost respect for the weapon and the men who put it to good use in the defense of this Great Country.

It's just not for me personally....

JD

Old 10-18-2008, 03:46 AM   #24

JD,
I hope you didn't misconstrue my reply as anything other than an appreciation for your input. I respect people's opinions and I agree that some guns aren't for everyone for one reason ore another (i.e. I don't care for auto pistols with safeties that flip UP to fire( yuk)

Old 10-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
JD,
I hope you didn't misconstrue my reply as anything other than an appreciation for your input. I respect people's opinions and I agree that some guns aren't for everyone for one reason ore another (i.e. I don't care for auto pistols with safeties that flip UP to fire( yuk)
SUPER - You and I have NO problems, as far as I know. I have always known you to be a valid and conscentious contributor brother. I have never known you to personally attack me, or anyone else, on the forum. I took what you were saying and was merely trying to reinforce my own statement. While my opinion is not popular, it is what I believe under this roof.

No worries bro - all is well on this Friday night....

JD

Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I'm certainly not offended by anything you've said, you know most of my comments like that are jokes anyway....

Now talk about not liking the AR platform.....

I've fired one, it leaves me cold. I have a M1 and I love it. The more gun platforms available the better anyway. As long as they're all available, good for us and good for freedom, bad for the bad guys/politicians. Heck, I'd even use my '03 in a shtf situation just to see the bug eyes on any hippie, leftist freak when he/she/it comes face to face with this:

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #27

Liked 251 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The M1 rifle was designed for a trained rifleman to hit, repeatedly, man sized targets at ranges of 600 yards, and to deliver fatal wounds out to 1000 yards, a feat it accomplished very well. Not hair splitting accuracy, but military accuracy. I don't believe any rifle has surpassed the M1 in the role of battle rifle.

The M14 was good, but I, for one, objected to the big box magazine. The en bloc clip was very good for a fast reload, and I believe, still unsurpassed.

True, you may not find the M1 the very best designed on all points, but its record speaks for itself.

That you find it not to your liking perturbs me not in the least, and you do validate your position very well. I asked because I wanted to know, and you answered very well. Thanks for doing so.

Bob Wright

Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #28

Liked 251 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Incidentally, the far front sling swivel isn't a sling swivel, its a stacking swivel, a now useless contrivance on military weapons.

Bob Wright

Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
. Adding the far front sling swivel, which wasn't designed to be a sling swivel in the first place,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Incidentally, the far front sling swivel isn't a sling swivel, its a stacking swivel, a now useless contrivance on military weapons.

Bob Wright
Agreed. It was never meant for that task, but it is still used for that task to this day by people who either A) Prefer it, or B) Didn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
The M1 rifle was designed for a trained rifleman to hit, repeatedly, man sized targets at ranges of 600 yards, and to deliver fatal wounds out to 1000 yards,
Agreed. The weapon was a fine battle field invention. It was rugged, it was solid and it would deliver Minute of Bad Guy Accuracy all day long.

Quote:

True, you may not find the M1 the very best designed on all points, but its record speaks for itself.
No argument from me. I personally don't care for the weapon, but I would never diminish it's effectiveness in the field of battle.

Some people will continue to poo-poo the lack of a traditional magazine or that it only carries 8 rounds.... I am not one of them. In my mind, 8 rounds of .30-06 can do a hell of a lot of damage in the right hands.

Quote:
That you find it not to your liking perturbs me not in the least, and you do validate your position very well. I asked because I wanted to know, and you answered very well. Thanks for doing so.

Bob Wright
Always good to have a useful discussion and even a friendly difference of opinion.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #30

Trained Rifleman??!!! Huh. No wonder I can't hit an 8" target at 100 yards.
Trained Rifleman I definitely AM NOT!!!