Finally! New M1 Grand...No it's not a misspell! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Finally! New M1 Grand...No it's not a misspell!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I just shot it for the first time today!: I shot Federal Power-Shoks. WOW! I love this gun!
Heck, the only ones who don't love the Garand are filthy red commies, and dead nazzis and kamikazes....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
Not yet. I just got an email from CMP; ammo on sale
I just shot it for the first time today!: I shot Federal Power-Shoks. WOW! I love this gun!
Of course you are familiar with all the caveats concerning the M1. You need to use some caution when using commercial ammo. This is old hat for most here but should be brought up now and then. The M1 was designed to use a certain weight range bullet and powders of a certain burn rate range. If the commercial rounds you use fall outside that then you risk op-rod damage at a minimum. Just FYI.

Toader51-When you say bringing back to GI specs it seems like you mean to say original configuration. If all you are doing is replacing parts of one approved manufacturer with those of another then you are returning to original config. There is nothing out of spec about it.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
Of course you are familiar with all the caveats concerning the M1. You need to use some caution when using commercial ammo. This is old hat for most here but should be brought up now and then. The M1 was designed to use a certain weight range bullet and powders of a certain burn rate range. If the commercial rounds you use fall outside that then you risk op-rod damage at a minimum. Just FYI.

Toader51-When you say bringing back to GI specs it seems like you mean to say original configuration. If all you are doing is replacing parts of one approved manufacturer with those of another then you are returning to original config. There is nothing out of spec about it.
I wasn't at first. After I shot about 40 rounds of the Federal, I stopped by my local gun shop and the owner warned me about using hot loads. He mentioned something about how"sh!t could start coming apart..badly" Thanks for the heads up though. Not everyone has milsurp ammo( I didn't realize that CMP had an ammo sale going on) so they go to the gun shop and buy whatever they feel like.(Like me) Now I have milsurp ammo coming from CMP.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #14

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A friend of mine (at Three Little Pigs BBQ here in Memphis) recently got his M1 and found a correct WW II leather sling for it also.

He and I were more familiar with the OD web sling of 'fifties vintage.

Loved to fire the old M1, but preferred to carry the M2 Carbine.

Bob Wright

Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Loved to fire the old M1, but preferred to carry the M2 Carbine.
Boy, ain't that the truth!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Heck, the only ones who don't love the Garand are filthy red commies, and dead nazzis and kamikazes....
I actually don't care for the Garand. It's a good design, and it will run forever, but I just don't happen to like a couple of features about it....

Sorry.

JD

Old 10-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #17

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I actually don't care for the Garand. It's a good design, and it will run forever, but I just don't happen to like a couple of features about it....

Sorry.

JD

What, pray tell, might they be? And, from what standpoint? As a shooter/hunter, or Infantry Rifleman?

Bob Wright

Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
What, pray tell, might they be? And, from what standpoint? As a shooter/hunter, or Infantry Rifleman?

Bob Wright
Easy Bob - I am not trying to start anything here.

You have a dog legged op rod driven platform. The thing will run, and run well no matter what. The op rod is a proven design that will allow a weapon to run clean or dirty.

However, from an accuracy standpoint, this is not the best model. The kalashnikov has the same feature. It's reliable, but it's not as accurate as it could be. Adding to that, the barrel isn't free floated, and in fact, it's held firmly in place by a wood saddle & two straps. Adding the far front sling swivel, which wasn't designed to be a sling swivel in the first place, can add torque to the barrel directly. Plus the thing weighs a ton.

In what frame of reference? That of an apprentice rifle builder who has been taught to question everything about weapon designs to see if there are ways to improve them from an operational and accuracy standpoint.

It's a fine weapon that has a very prestigious line of service to man and country. I am not taking anything away from that when I say that I personally do not like a couple of features about the weapon.

JD

Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Sorry.

JD
Shhh....Patton might hear you....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

You know that "Thou shalt not covet" commandment? I'm breaking it right now. (Not really. I'm cool with getting my own Garand someday.)

Nice rifle! Enjoy!