Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Enfield Number 4 warning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Enfield Number 4 warning

I was reading an NRA booklet about "British Enfield Rifles" which had a few paragraphs advising that firing the Number 4 rifle could be hazardous. The claim was the British MOD had some rifles blow up. The apparent cause was "severe craze cracking of barrels". The warning went out in july 1987. Is anyone aware of this and does it affect rifles from all factories? I have a pretty nice Number 4 Longbranch rifle and would like to know if I should be concerned about this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I would have thought that it would have been caught LONG, LONG before now

They stopped making the No.4 in the 1960's IIRC. It was probably a warning to rifles that were still flowing into the U.S, though that's still late.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 688 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Many were factory refurbished and restamped.
Including a new barrel.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8330 Times on 3602 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

There are literally millions of No 4s out there, still being used. However, I think I MAY know what you ran across. In about 1960, the Ministry of Defence had a test program to convert No.4 rifles to 7.62 NATO. And yes, there were enough problems with the L8 (as it was known) that they dropped the test.

The L8 is different from the Ishapore rifle that was designed and MADE for the 7.62 NATO.

Unless you are trying to shoot seven six deuce in an Enfield, I would not be overly concerned.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #5

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
I was reading an NRA booklet about "British Enfield Rifles" which had a few paragraphs advising that firing the Number 4 rifle could be hazardous. The claim was the British MOD had some rifles blow up. The apparent cause was "severe craze cracking of barrels". The warning went out in july 1987. Is anyone aware of this and does it affect rifles from all factories? I have a pretty nice Number 4 Longbranch rifle and would like to know if I should be concerned about this.
You have a Canadian built Longrbranch No4 rifle. The best bolt-action battle rifle of all time. If you shoot properly loaded ammunition it will never give you a problem. Canada still issues this rifle to it's Army Rangers. It is a tank.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.