Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Did you get the link I PM'd you?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yes, I did! Thank you!
CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #13

I was bidding on one at Gunbroker and lost. Sure looked like yours....HehHeh

Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #14

Liked 471 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 34

ROF denotes it was made in Maltby U.K and the Mk.1 would probably mean it's a No.3 Mk.1 actioned rifle.Any other markings on the rifle will give you a better idea as to when and if it has been factory refurbished.

Here in Australia they're a prized rifle if in good condition an dnot butchered. They also make excellent pig rifles as they're a shorter rifle than the SMLE and with the 10 shot mag give you more firepower on a mob of pigs than any other bolt actioned rifle.

The .303 round is a very capable round and I've shot quite a few pigs with the Parker Hale .303 I used to own.
I now own a Mk.3 No.1 SMLE that I restored and reload for but as yet haven't introduced any pigs or goats to.

If your going to shoot it try and use something around the 174gn - 180gn mark as this was what was loaded during war service(174gn),regards

Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I had one of those back in about 1962 and it was a shooter ! I swapped it for an old Buick that had problems and I could kick my rear end for parting with that Jungle Carbine, it was great in all respects !

Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

What makes you think it's the No.3?

Really now? We've got a bit of a hog problem around here as well. That's interesting.

I've been shooting some '65 Kynoch I bought for $20. 50 rounds with stripper clips.

Thank you for the information 'bear!

Oh, man, that sucks! I'm starting slow, but I'm trying to put together a display of WWII weapons. What I'm buying, I hope my great-great-great grandkids will get and appreciate. I plan on having a wall with family photo's and lists of the theatres/campaigns they were involved in.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #17

Liked 471 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdouglas View Post
What makes you think it's the No.3?

Really now? We've got a bit of a hog problem around here as well. That's interesting.

I've been shooting some '65 Kynoch I bought for $20. 50 rounds with stripper clips.

Thank you for the information 'bear!

Oh, man, that sucks! I'm starting slow, but I'm trying to put together a display of WWII weapons. What I'm buying, I hope my great-great-great grandkids will get and appreciate. I plan on having a wall with family photo's and lists of the theatres/campaigns they were involved in.
It may also be more than likely a No.4 action now that I've checked up on it. It should have stamped on it somewhere possibly on the band around the stock just behind the trigger guard possibly the date and action number.

When you use ex military ammo make sure after use that you pour boiling hot water down the barrel as a lot of that military stuff used mercuric primers and when they ignite they leave a type of salt behind that's very corrosive if not cleaned after use and boiling hot water poured down the barrel will neutralise this acid type salt.

After doing this let the barrel dry and then proceed to clean as normal.
With open sights on my SMLE(heavy barrel) and handloads I can get 2" groups at 100yds off the bench if I do my bit so you should be able to do something similar,regards

Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

blackdouglas,
your pics make me think your no.5 is legit...hollowed out bolt knob and proper-looking ladder sight with yardage above 800 faced off. mine is marked:
no5mk1 rof(f) on the side opposite the bolt.

an easy way to tell if it's a no.5 is to look at the metal on the underside in front of the magazine...on a no.4 it tapers to the screw hole, on the no.5, they scalloped out metal on each side to save a bit of weight.

hairbear,
fyi, 20th century corrosive primers are chlorate, not mercuric based. on firing, hygroscopic potassium chloride (similar to table salt) residue is deposited in the bore, attracting moisture and promoting corrosion.

chlorate primers don't deteriorate over time...they'll work no matter what, which is why the russians still use them for military applications

mercuric priming was common during black-powder days, no so much after the 19th century ended.

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks budman, I am 100% positive it's a true, pure No. 5. I'd just like more HISTORICAL information about it. I like building little files about my stuff, and I've found that people on here tend to have more information than most books. When they know what they're actually talking about.....

I wish we could post videos. I managed to talk my girlfriend into shooting it, and I have it on video of it almost knocking her on her butt! It was hilarious!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

blackdouglas,

you're right about the knowledge handy on forums. books have the info, but it's lots easier to search the web.

shame on you for the girlfriend trick; sometime they become wives...wives have long memories!

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...