Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine

I've been watching this gun for about 6 months, and finally just decided I'd buy her. She only has a couple defects (except for some numbnut that put a lacquer on the wood). The bayonet mount has been ground down and the sling mount on the butt has broken off. But she's a dream to shoot! = )
What do you think? Value and further information would also be much appreciated!!!!!!!

img_1843.jpg   img_1844.jpg   img_1845.jpg   img_1846.jpg   img_1847.jpg  

img_1848.jpg   img_1849.jpg  

Last edited by blackdouglas; 09-20-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations. I really like the No. 5's.

Just strip the varnish off the stock and oil it and you'll be good to go.

Are you sure it's a real No. 5? I don't know how to check, but there are people here who do. I do know that there are a bunch of fakes around.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a note on Enfields. Some armory Sgt fired at 300 yds and put 100 rounds through a 1' target in just a short period of time--think he still holds the record. It was the fastest shooting bolt in the world for a long time.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would if I knew how. Is there a good way to do it without sanding it?

It is! It has the lightning cuts, the hollowed bolt knob, and VERY faintly on the receiver it says MK1 ROF. LOL! I don't buy anything unless I can confirm it's roughly what it's supposed to be. Like I said, I had six months to do a bit of reading. Though information is scarce. Which is why I come here. = )

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I know! It's lovely! LOL! Though my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. The kick left me with a pretty good bruise on my shoulder! That rubber butt pad isn't as soft as she was meant to be! LOL!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah, the recoil pads are more appearance than useful.

As far as the wood, there's a product called "Greens" Finish Remover. It doesn't need to be deactivated with water, so it won't raise the grain of the wood. You just apply it with a brush, let it work and then wipe it off. Then you rinse off any remains with Mineral Spirits. It's what I use. I dislike sanding a stock because it can remove any cartouches and stamps. At the very least, it removes wood which I don't care to do.

If you have basic skills, you can do it easily.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Apparently! LOL!

Hmmm, I'll look into that. Walmart, Home Depot, or a specialty shop?
And would you know if gun parts would be safe in an ultrasonic cleaner? I was a jewelers apprentice for a bit, and those things can do wonders, but I'd hate for it to damage something.......
There is a mark on the stock I've not been able to find information on. It says BW with an S centered below. Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm sorry, I really don't know much about Enfields at all. I know we have some experts here, but apparently they haven't found this thread yet.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

no enfield fancier should be satisfied until he gets a no. 5, good job!

i'm a coward when it comes to factory loads in a no. 5...i mean, why didn't they ground the butt pad to a point so we could really enjoy the little bugger!

i shoot 170gr cast bullets @ 1800 fps out of my enfields. at that pace they're pleasant, accurate, and easy on the pocketbook.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

They will eventually.
LOL! I just try to pick stuff up here and there. But I do love it!
Hmmm, well, I had the ability or time to do reloads, I would probably try those. = /