Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/enfield-no5-jungle-carbine-72870/)

blackdouglas 09-20-2012 09:25 PM

Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine

7 Attachment(s)
I've been watching this gun for about 6 months, and finally just decided I'd buy her. She only has a couple defects (except for some numbnut that put a lacquer on the wood). The bayonet mount has been ground down and the sling mount on the butt has broken off. But she's a dream to shoot! = )
What do you think? Value and further information would also be much appreciated!!!!!!!

CA357 09-20-2012 10:06 PM

Congratulations. I really like the No. 5's.

Just strip the varnish off the stock and oil it and you'll be good to go.

Are you sure it's a real No. 5? I don't know how to check, but there are people here who do. I do know that there are a bunch of fakes around.

-06 09-20-2012 10:11 PM

Just a note on Enfields. Some armory Sgt fired at 300 yds and put 100 rounds through a 1' target in just a short period of time--think he still holds the record. It was the fastest shooting bolt in the world for a long time.

blackdouglas 09-20-2012 10:12 PM

I would if I knew how. Is there a good way to do it without sanding it?

It is! It has the lightning cuts, the hollowed bolt knob, and VERY faintly on the receiver it says MK1 ROF. LOL! I don't buy anything unless I can confirm it's roughly what it's supposed to be. Like I said, I had six months to do a bit of reading. Though information is scarce. Which is why I come here. = )

blackdouglas 09-20-2012 10:14 PM

I know! It's lovely! LOL! Though my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy. The kick left me with a pretty good bruise on my shoulder! That rubber butt pad isn't as soft as she was meant to be! LOL!

CA357 09-21-2012 02:01 AM

Yeah, the recoil pads are more appearance than useful.

As far as the wood, there's a product called "Greens" Finish Remover. It doesn't need to be deactivated with water, so it won't raise the grain of the wood. You just apply it with a brush, let it work and then wipe it off. Then you rinse off any remains with Mineral Spirits. It's what I use. I dislike sanding a stock because it can remove any cartouches and stamps. At the very least, it removes wood which I don't care to do.

If you have basic skills, you can do it easily.

blackdouglas 09-21-2012 02:59 AM

Apparently! LOL!

Hmmm, I'll look into that. Walmart, Home Depot, or a specialty shop?
And would you know if gun parts would be safe in an ultrasonic cleaner? I was a jewelers apprentice for a bit, and those things can do wonders, but I'd hate for it to damage something.......
There is a mark on the stock I've not been able to find information on. It says BW with an S centered below. Any ideas?

CA357 09-21-2012 03:11 AM

I'm sorry, I really don't know much about Enfields at all. I know we have some experts here, but apparently they haven't found this thread yet.

budman46 09-21-2012 05:52 PM

no enfield fancier should be satisfied until he gets a no. 5, good job!

i'm a coward when it comes to factory loads in a no. 5...i mean, why didn't they ground the butt pad to a point so we could really enjoy the little bugger!:D

i shoot 170gr cast bullets @ 1800 fps out of my enfields. at that pace they're pleasant, accurate, and easy on the pocketbook.

blackdouglas 09-21-2012 08:33 PM

They will eventually.
LOL! I just try to pick stuff up here and there. But I do love it!
Hmmm, well, I had the ability or time to do reloads, I would probably try those. = /