Enfield No4 MK I - Help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Enfield No4 MK I - Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

C3 - Thanks for the response. I had the rifle and trigger parts apart this afternoon, and removed the trigger and sear. I did some light work with emery paper and then polished the contact surfaces to a bright finish with my buffing wheel. Dry firing after re-assembly seems MUCH better. I'll have to wait until my bulk ammo order gets in to try another range shoot with it. The Huber trigger looks like a really nice improvement, but at $90, it is a bit pricey!

Highpower - Thanks for the warning, I followed the instructions from the surplusrifle.com website download so I did not screw anything up!

TXnorton

Old 10-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, that is a fair description of a military two stage trigger. Cleaning it up may help- so will burnishing contact points in the trigger/sear (NO DREMELS!) [/url]
C3 - Thanks for the advice, I shot the Enfield yesterday after the trigger polishing job. MAJOR difference, and much more of a crisp action. This made a dramatic improvement in my targets.

TXnorton

Old 11-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #13

Glad it worked for you ... I hope you keep this rifle as is and don; hack i all up as so many folks are prone to do hese days...

Cheers

Last edited by RCHanlin; 11-09-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We rebuild and refinish a lot of old enfields at the shop.

The No4's are my favorite to work on.

You'd be suprised how much a stone job on the trigger, lap in the bolt, and polish of the bolt internals can slick these dudes right up.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #15

I'm embarassed to even admit this ...

It was a long branch that got me started in collecting and restoring... And although I've restored many SMLE's, I've never done any polish work to the triggers and bolts as you have suggested. That really should have been part of my process all along but at the time I was simply restoring and "storing"... That Long Branch is the only Enfield that I have actually ever taken to the range

Have you ever restored any of the "line throwers" ? I've got one now that I've restored and have the correct gauge wire to go ahead and re-enforce. I know there are folks that say that these were mainly enfields that were wrapped becuase they started out as sub-standard rifles that may no be able to take the preasures of launching grenades or throwing lines between Navy ships .. But there are ohers ( including myself ) that believe there is nothing wrong wih these rifles at all...

What say you ?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The explanation that I heard was that they were wire wrapped to handle the increased stress from firing grenades or lines.

I had not heard that they were sub par rifles, only that they were reinforced for safety.

My favorite SMLE is my Dad's. I found it for him, but it is a Savage Made Enfield. Matching numbers on Bolt, Receiver, Bayonet, and Magazine, etc. Block "S";s out the wazoo. Really a good shooter.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoetz2005 View Post
The explanation that I heard was that they were wire wrapped to handle the increased stress from firing grenades or lines.

I had not heard that they were sub par rifles, only that they were reinforced for safety.

My favorite SMLE is my Dad's. I found it for him, but it is a Savage Made Enfield. Matching numbers on Bolt, Receiver, Bayonet, and Magazine, etc. Block "S";s out the wazoo. Really a good shooter.

I prefer to think that the rifles were wrapped to take the added stress of firing the grenades as well... They launch a tennis ball pretty well also

I'd also like to add a Savage to my collection.. And as far as I'm concerned, they are ALL good shooters..

Cheers

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9147 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Have heard the "defective rifle" story- these were used to shoot ball ammo as well as launch grenades- and launching genades puts a LOT of stress on a rifle. AFAIK, the wire wrap was to reinforce parts of the STOCK that were prone to crack under the increaed stress.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #19

That is how I remeber it also .. Thanks

Old 11-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #20

Likes Given: 2

From what Ive been told it was to keep the hand guard from popping off, as there isn't much holding it on, and it gave the person firing the grenade a little more traction to keep the rifle in hand after launching a grenade.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST