Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Enfield No4 MK I - Help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/enfield-no4-mk-i-help-19182/)

TXnorton 10-15-2009 05:38 PM

Enfield No4 MK I - Help

I just bought a Enfield No4 Mk I (1944 Canadian - Long Branch) rifle at lunch time. It is in very good condition with a very good bore. This was sort of a short notice purchase. Now to sneak it into the house unseen.

I just edited this post, as I had originaly asked for help figuring out how to remove the bolt, but I have now found the instructions at surplusrifle.com.

I am in no way connected to this gun shop (other than they get a lot of my money) but if you are in the Houston area, this place is worth a visit. They have a great web-site and if you just want to spend a few hours drooling over over photos of all types of vintage as welll as modern firearms go here:

Collectors Firearms

TXnorton 10-15-2009 10:39 PM

Here's the New Toy

1 Attachment(s)
.303 Enfield No. 4 mk 1, 1944 Long Branch - Canadian manufacture.

Highpower 10-15-2009 11:00 PM

I think you picked a winner. Nice looking smelly there.

c3shooter 10-16-2009 12:42 AM

WHAT ?!? NO PIG STICKER ?!?!?

Now just how the hell are you going to take care of zombies when you empty the mag? Don't just sit there- go find a bayonet, and make that Long Branch whole again!!! :D

Hey- nice rifle! I lucked out a coupla years back and scored 2k rds of the Greek Milsurp cheep- on strippers. Must have done something good in a former life or something.

TXnorton 10-16-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 174506)
WHAT ?!? NO PIG STICKER ?!?!?

The Pig Sticker is on the way! I found a "Bowie Knife" Enfield bayonet on eBay yesterday after I bought the rifle. I am off to shoot it this afternoon, and will post a range report later!

CA357 10-16-2009 03:55 PM

Congratulations, enjoy that old classic. :cool:

Dcomf 10-16-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXnorton (Post 174354)

I am in no way connected to this gun shop (other than they get a lot of my money) but if you are in the Houston area, this place is worth a visit. They have a great web-site and if you just want to spend a few hours drooling over over photos of all types of vintage as welll as modern firearms go here:

Collectors Firearms

Good selection at that place but they seem to be awfully proud of their guns with prices like that. They are a little too generous with their grading system too.

TXnorton 10-17-2009 10:04 AM

OK, I shot 40 rounds through the Enfield on Friday afternoon. It was OK, but I am not posting any photos of my targets just yet. I was shooting at 100 yards, and had all rounds on paper, and after I got used to the hard trigger pull, I could keep them mostly in the 5 ring.

The trigger on this Enfield is a bit of a pig. Lots of slack to take up (well it is military), and then a HARD trigger pull, hard enough that it was difficult to hold point of aim to get a good group at 100 yards. I had to basically squeeze out the slack then intentionally do a hard pull the trigger, none of the squeeze-fire business here! The trigger is NOWHERE near as good as the trigger on my kar 98K Mauser, which has a very smooth and crisp trigger.

I am going to completely strip the rifle this week-end and see if the trigger mechanism is full of cosmolene or has some other problem. I may then take it to a gunsmith to see if the trigger can be lightened up.

Any suggestions from other Enfield owners out there?

In spite of the heavy trigger pull (which I could learn to live with), I am not at all unhappy with the purchase.

c3shooter 10-17-2009 11:21 AM

Well, that is a fair description of a military two stage trigger. Cleaning it up may help- so will burnishing contact points in the trigger/sear (NO DREMELS!) Article for you from surplusrifle.com for an aftermarket trigger for your #4. Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle - Surplusrifle.com

Highpower 10-17-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXnorton (Post 174996)

I am going to completely strip the rifle this week-end and see if the trigger mechanism is full of cosmolene or has some other problem. I may then take it to a gunsmith to see if the trigger can be lightened up.

Any suggestions from other Enfield owners out there?

One little tip:

If you intend to remove the butt stock for any reason, make sure you remove the fore-stock FIRST. Bad things happen if you don't.... ;)