Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Does anyone here shoot a martini henry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Does anyone here shoot a martini henry?

My brother just picked up one of these babies, after a trap door purchase. I bought the lee dies for in]t, as they are cheaper, and so far have stated recapping and sizing the cases he has. I am having a hard time finding load data, and c.o.l info for it though.
Can anyone suggest a place to look for info, or maybe have some personal info? i have found some load info in other forums, but i don't really like using some one elses loads without published, tested loads.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #2

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 666

85gr black powder

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #3

Liked 694 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 224

try here --
http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=1352&caliber=.57&cali berid=33&header=.57%20Caliber%20Reloading%20Data

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #4

They want 30 bucks to join, not worth it for one load, and i wannastay away from bp, it is pretty rough on cases. the 20 rounds he bought were 10x, but i keep getting conflicting load data. hodgdon doesnt even list a load for the martini

Old 08-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

12 grains of unique would probably do it but I'd suggest finding some load data to back it up.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Sorry, n8ball I did not notice that you had to pay to see the loads. Looks like original BP loads were 80 to 85 grains, so you could try 45-70 starting loads.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #7

Liked 61 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hello N8ball.

I know you said you didn't want to use black powder. However, if you should, developing a load is pretty easy. Simply fill the case with BP to where you can seat the bullet. Done. It's the same for all BP cartridge guns.

Cartridge Over all Length is also fairly easy. Seat to crimping groove and crimp some. Since there is no action through which the loaded round must negotiate, the only thing you need to concern over is sticking the bullet in the leade and not being able to withdraw it should you decide not to fire. Okay, you don't want to load the bullet too deep. Unless you're crimping over the ogive, you'll be fine.

I'm assuming the cartridge is the .577/.450 round?

Were it mine, I would check the volume of the case against something like .45-70 or similar black powder cartridge. 11mm Mauser comes to mind. Since the black powder cartridges all maxed out at around the same pressures (that's how BP works), I would think equivalent smokeless loads would be reasonably safe. I'd start at the bottom end of the data, of course. I would also use the slowest powder noted, as the pressure curve is going to be the gentlest increase.

I'm not recommending YOU should try that, but that's what I would do; failing stumbling across someone with hard information. And, as always, you are on your own. I cannot guarantee results and probably no one else can either.

Oh. Cartridges of the World often have some load information on obsolete cartridges.

Do report back with your findings and results.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

Found some load info in cartridges of the world, one for imr 4198, and a few for bp using a 400 and 500 gr bullet. Frustrating that so many people shoot these older rifles, but finding load data is tough. i guess i may have to contact each powder manu for info. i know its out there, i just havent fallen on it yet. im waiting to order bullets until i can find a source of info that is proven

Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #9

I enjoy shooting old guns. Part of that for me is working up my own loads(I've never blew any up!). Sometimes finding bullets in odd sizes can be a problem. Buying molds and bullet sizing dies for everything is hard to justify(even to me). Often you can use different reloading dies to do everything except full-length resize. Good luck on your quest for load data and have fun shooting!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #10

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

You might be able to use some Trail Boss and use IMR's instructions on how to work up your own load...