You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

diy mock 1903A4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7357 Times on 3925 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Default diy mock 1903A4

Several years ago I stumbled across a 1903a3 barrel still in the original cosmoline and military wrapping. Muzzle gages between 0 and 1. It sat in my safe for a few years until a few months ago when I decided to finally build it out into a mock A4.

diy mock 1903A4 - Curio & Relic Discussion

I bought a remington stripped A3 reciever from aim surplus and parts kit from numrich which included a complete bolt. knowing the difficulty in mounting one of these barrels to the reciever I took the reciever bolt and barrel to my lgs who has a friend that only does work on 1903's m1 carbines garands and 1A's. He trued the reciever face had to shave the barrel in lathe a bit before it could be head spaced.

Got it back after 4 months.

Put all the parts together. The stock I think I got at numrich. One of the cheaper scant stocks. I did have to do a lot of fitting on the stock to get the various barrel bands to fit correctly. I sanded the whole thing down and refinished with truoil.

The mount is a S&K no drill mount and seems solid as a rock. I did have to inlet the stock in the reciever lug area to fit the mount. I then learned the sk mount pushed the hand guard about 3/4 inch forward. This meant I had to chop a bit off the upper handguard and cut a new toungue to fit the rear barrel band. If you don't modify the handguard you will have to run it bare.

I used weaver rings and the scope is an el paso weaver K2.5 60-b fine crosshairs. Using weaver high rings I don't need to bend the bolt handle. With this scope it has plenty of clearence. I'm leaving the front sight ring in case I ever want to turn it into a 1903A3

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-12-2014 at 07:51 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4799 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 2352

Jon,

VERY, VERY, NICE! Great job! When are you going to take her to the Range?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment

Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Jon,

VERY, VERY, NICE! Great job! When are you going to take her to the Range?

Maybe tommorrow. I bore sighted it and it seems to be pretty close. I'm pretty impressed with how solid the mount seems to be. Was going today but its been t-storming off and on all day.

I sold my other 03a3 when I started building this one. Its as close as your going to get on a like new springfield under 1000$ my cost including gunsmithing to mount the barrel was 650$
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

If you want to build your own this guy has some barrels up on gb bit more than I paid a few years ago

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=407657901

Aimsurplus still has recievers. The one I got from them was in superb condition

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F11903RREM&name=Remington+1903A3 +Stripped+Receiver+and+Bolt+Action&groupid=12

The rest of the parts not counting stock run about 150$

I recommend finding someone with a lathe and knowledge on barreling mauser actions to mount the barrel. Mausers often require turning both the barrel and reciever to properly mount and headspace.

Not many places I know of you can get a high quality mauser action 30-06 under 700$

Last edited by JonM; 04-13-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22399 Times on 12495 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

very impressive and well done Jon. looking forward to seeing the range report.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Loaded 50 rounds of 30-06 sierra 168bthp matchking over 47 grains of varget. Headed out to the range soon as I take a shower

Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I'm not happy with the optic it covers 2 moa and makes it damn hard to be consistant.

The rifle shot well but I'm going to find another scope

10 shots 100yards. 168grn bthp smk over 47grn varget. Coal 3.285

Next weekend I will try a different scope

I am however liking the sk mount a lot. With a mechanical zero on the optic it bore sighted in with less. Than a half rotation of windage and elevation each. First shot group was 9" high and 4 right of center at 100yards

Last edited by JonM; 04-13-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4002 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 22272

Looks good Jon.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #9

Liked 830 Times on 581 Posts
Likes Given: 921

It may be the Bullets. M2 ball was 150gr...
I've often found these old war horses like flat base bullets. I load 49.5gr 4320 for 175gr flat base in 8x57. Outstanding round. BTW, Do not use this load folks unless you are 100% positive it will be safe in your rifle!!!!!

Maybe a K4????

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-15-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
It may be the Bullets. M2 ball was 150gr...
I've often found these old war horses like flat base bullets. I load 49.5gr 4320 for 175gr flat base in 8x57. Outstanding round. BTW, Do not use this load folks unless you are 100% positive it will be safe in your rifle!!!!!

Maybe a K4????
My previous 03a3 was a 1943 remington 2 groove. This a 44 2 groove. The previous one was submoa with the same loading.

Im going to try my accupoint 3-9 on it this weekend. Im pretty sure it was my crappy shooting with a 2.5x and comparatively thick xhairs. The k2.5 60-b is not nearly as good as the german post version.