Dad got his 1895 back
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Dad got his 1895 back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 256 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Dad got his 1895 back

Back In 1900 Oscar Quisla Bought an 1895 Winchester rifle at a hardware store in Portage County, WI. The new rifle (serial number 749) and 3 boxes of 30-40 Krag shells cost him $45. He took that rifle on many deer hunts in WI.

There were no deer in Portage county at that time so Oscar and friends would board a train and ride North until they reached a logging camp where they would hitch a ride by horse and wagon where they rode with their tent, blankets and food until they reached the winter deer yards where the deer would congregate to eat slashings left behind by the loggers. The picture below was taken in 1905 when Oscar (far left) was 25 years old. On this trip they returned with one buck and one doe for each man. Oscar is holding the 1895 Winchester which has a shiny receiver. Most guns back then had a black or brown finish.

My Father’s family farm was only two miles from the Quisla Farm and since My Grandfather did not hunt, my father learned about hunting from Oscar. In 1958, when my Father was 23 years old, Oscar sold him the 1895 Lever action with 3 boxes of 30-40 Krag shells for $45.

In 1961, my Parents moved to Milwaukee and my Father left the 30-40 Krag back at the farm since he had no use for the Rifle in the city but he would travel back to the farm each year to deer hunt with the krag.

In 1964 Oscar Died at the age of 84. That year, when my Father returned to Portage County to live and farm with his young family, he went to the home farm to retrieve the Krag. His older brother who was never happy about my Father leaving the farm for the big city, told my Father that the gun was no longer his and that his older brother was keeping the rifle as a remembrance of Oscar and that is “Farm property”.

As the years went by, my Father made attempts to get the rifle back but was unsuccessful. In 2008 with his brother having died in his 80's, my Father was back on the home farm doing some repairs and when finished, his sister asked how much she owed him for this troubles. My father said that he would like to have the Krag back. His sister went to the closet and retrieved the old rifle and gave it to him.

I asked my Father (now 79) what he had planned for the 118 year old Krag and he said “I’m gonna shoot a deer with it”

My oldest brother who reloads will make a few boxes of 30-40 cartridges for him and after the rifle is thoroughly cleaned and inspected, I would expect to see my Father in the woods at some point with the Krag.[/quote]

Love your guns, spend time with them.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

awesome story!

i hope he gets a deer with that rifle too!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3193 Times on 2173 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Fantastic story. You should send that in to Western Shooting Journal !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1917 Times on 1360 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Default Just Me...............

It makes me sick....................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 560 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 2821

That's a great story. I am glad your father got the rifle back.

Now after seeing that picture of your dad, it looks as if your avatar could be an earlier picture of him also.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #6

Great story.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 AM   #7

Liked 1068 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 1678

Great read, and old pics......Thank you for sharing...I'm happy for your dad, and the gun is back where it belongs.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 06-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #8

Liked 741 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Sweet! The 1895 is my favorite Winchester... I had one just like it made in 1899, but I sold it... (I hope to get one in 7.62x54 instead... )

File Type: jpg 107_5429.jpg (30.6 KB, 25 views)
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2014, 03:01 AM   #9

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

That's a great story and seeing that 95 brought back memories of the one that I had. It was a 30-06 SRC made in the 1920's. It was in exc. condition with 90% of the blue remaining and had a shotgun butt. I sold it back in the mid 1980's in order to buy another gun. Money wise I did do the right thing, but I was always fond of bringing that 95 hunting with me, but unluckily I never saw a deer when I had it with me. It had factory sling swivels, so carrying it with a sling in the woods was very convenient. I always got compliments when carrying it and most people didn't even know what model it was. The finger groves in the fore end always reminded me of the Krag. It was a fine rifle and I'll always miss it.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 06-21-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8269

first off, pardon my lack of capital letters and any typos. i kind of crushed the tip of my left middle finger this afternoon between my air compressor and the rail of my trailer. looks to be no more than a large ( from joint on the bottom to the nail at the tip.) semi-open blood blister, and it hurts like an SOB.

Nice rifle diy. absofreakin'lutely awesome story. i can't wait to see the pics of your dad's deer when he gets it.

we also have a handful of hand me down winchesters in our family, a model '02, a model 67, a model 62 that was customized by a local smith as a personal firearm, and an 1883 lever action in .38-40. it is the subject of the following story. i apologize for the lack of pictures, and i will get some when my uncle and i go to the range in the future.

my great grandfather (mom's grandfather) was a mechanic in olean ny during the great depression. one day in october, a man who was on his way to deer camp in maine from montana had some pretty serious engine trouble just outside of the city, and was towed to great grampa's shop. gramps set him up at a local hotel, and tracked down a good used engine for his car. 2 days later, the engine was installed, and the car was good to go, the problem was that the gentleman still had a ways to go, and he needed the extra cash for the trip.

gramps had already dropped a good sized chunk off the price, and cash crossed hands for his services. normally, that would be the end of the story.after leaving the shop, the gentleman from back west went to the hotel to pack his belongings and head out of town. on his way, he stopped at the station, and called gramps over to his car. concerned that something might have been wrong with the "new" engine, gramps went over to the car.

at that point, the man had him go to the trunk where he pulled out a rifle case. he gave my great grandfather the winchester and 2 boxes of ammo as a thank you for helping him out. that rifle was passed on to my grandfather, and upon his passing, it was passed on to my uncle. we have both used it on hunting trips in the past, and it will continue to get used for many years to come as a way of remembering 2 of the greatest men i have ever had the honor of knowing.

tell your dad i hope he enjoys that rifle, and best of luck this deer season. most of all, i hope he looks back on the memories of his dad and smiles. they may be gone from our lives, but they will never be gone from our hearts.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?