Czech Vz24 Ammo Choices - Romanian vs Yugo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Czech Vz24 Ammo Choices - Romanian vs Yugo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Czech Vz24 Ammo Choices - Romanian vs Yugo

Hi, I got my Vz24 from AIM recently and want to get some ammo for it.

I came across the following two (similarly priced per round):

(1) Romanian 8mm Mauser 150grn FMJ on Chargers - 1970's Surplus ammo; 150grn steel core, lacquer coated steel case.

(2) Yugoslavian M49 8mm FMJ 196grn - late 1970's to the early 1980's production; 196grn lead core full copper jacketed bullet, BRASS case and berdan primer.

Both are corrosive ammo. Romanian ones come on charges (a plus). Yugo ammo does not come on strip clips but in BRASS case. What's the difference between 'steel core' and 'lead core'? How about "steel case" vs "brass case"? Are these BRASS case reloadable?

Which ammo is more reliable, with less recoil, more fun to shoot and less maintenance (cleaning of barrel) required on the Vz24? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

To bad your in Conn.! I'm in NH. I'm going out shooting tomorrow. The Yugo ammo will shoot much better, and have more felt recoil. The romanian will shoot well under 100 yards and between 3...400 yards. It will take some scrubbing of the chamber to really get it clean. Niether is reloadable. Both are corrosive, so barrel cleaning is the same, but the Romanian adds the chamber. I still keep 3 cans of Romanian on hand for, OS. It use to be really cheap. Romy has less recoil, yugo is more accurate. Romy takes more to clean up, yugo takes a toll on your shoulder. I shoot heavy ball brass cased surplus as the norm.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've had good luck with both, but shoot tons of the Rommie. Still have a few cases left from when it was $35 a case. It is very accurate, and recoil is light.

And I've had no issues with it being corrosive. I tested it and had no rust after letting the rifle sit for a few weeks. But clean well, to be safe.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
To bad your in Conn.! I'm in NH. I'm going out shooting tomorrow. The Yugo ammo will shoot much better, and have more felt recoil. The romanian will shoot well under 100 yards and between 3...400 yards. It will take some scrubbing of the chamber to really get it clean. Niether is reloadable. Both are corrosive, so barrel cleaning is the same, but the Romanian adds the chamber. I still keep 3 cans of Romanian on hand for, OS. It use to be really cheap. Romy has less recoil, yugo is more accurate. Romy takes more to clean up, yugo takes a toll on your shoulder. I shoot heavy ball brass cased surplus as the norm.
Hi, thanks both for your info.

When you said "it will take some scrubbing of the chamber to really get it clean", did you mean it was bcz the "lacquer coated" Romanian ammo? How about the inside of barrel? Will any lacquer left there?

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I have only shot a small amount of Laquer in 8x57. I did have a major issue w/ laquer coated 5.56 in my AR. Looked like mold in the bore. The residue that was left behind reacted w/ the solvent I used, and grew for lack of a better term. I no longer shoot it. I have so much brass case I only keep it for SHTF, same w/ my Romy 8x57. You should keep your eyes open for estate sales and auctions. Most cases of 8x57 are labeled 7.92. I picked up a 1600 round case of Turk heavy ball at an estate sale a couple years ago. $110.00. Know one had a clue what it was. I have a load of chargers (stripper clips) if you need some. I'll send you a handful for the price of shipping. Maybe a buck or 2. They are Brass from the Turk ammo.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My Yugo M48A and Spanish M44 both love the 70'sproduction Yugo ammo! Superb stuff - totally different from the horrid 50's production.
I have not used the Romanian ammo. My experience shows the European Mausers generally prefer the heavier 196 grain bullet.