Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Czech CZ-82 - Any good/Fun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Czech CZ-82 - Any good/Fun???

J&G seems to have good prices on these guns - $180 with a holster.

They claim it is C&R eligible.

Wondering if it:
1) Is reliable/jam resistent
2) Takes down easy

What I like about it, esp for a carry gun, is
1) the ammo is readily available in large quantities
2) the size
3) the mag holds 12, and 1 in the tube

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They are an excellent, accurate and reliable pistol. I believe these are former Police handguns. The 9mm Makarov is a good caliber and fairly well available.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Mak ammo is generally available, but I found all vendors out of it at a gunshow today....

Classic Arms also has them, with accessories for $199.

9x18=Makarov

Old 12-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Perhaps the single greatest gun in the entire C&R inventory. Accurate, reliable, the rifling is a weird polygonal style that almost appears smooth, but actually provides excellent accuracy while reducing wear on the barrel.

The 9x18 is nasty as far as a defensive round, with some ammo testing exceedingly well as far as penetration.

Field stripping and cleaning is a breeze.

The only knock I have on this gun is difficulty in finding spare mags. I wish somebody would do a currnt manufacture run.

If you can find it, Russian surplus ammo is loaded hot, and while corrosive, has fascinating properties.

Buy it.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #5

Are we talking about the Czech Vz 82, chambered for the uprated 9mm makarov round but later in 7.65mm. Introduced as the Army sidearm in the 1980's and discontinued in 1992?

Well made and reliable and 9mm Makarov will do the job, I carried one in Potsdam for a short time in the early 90's just after the wall came down. I am a big CZ fan and had a CZ83 in my favorite pocket rocket calibre 7.65 mm. Couldn't fault the pistol, except in one respect for a pocket pistol I didn't like the double stacked magazine, for me it was very bulky.....

But for the cost of these you have been offered I don't see you going wrong they are a good pistol................... These pistols are designed to chambre the 9mm Markarov round which is loaded hotter than the standard Russian round, this should not be a problem though.....

Last edited by Boris; 12-01-2008 at 06:15 AM.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #6

Pardon-lost in a microchip dimension. Unknown even to Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Laufer; 12-17-2008 at 07:45 AM.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #7

Boris:

Was Potsdam near the British sector?
Just curious, because three months before the wall came down, I took a stroll thru Checkpoint Charlie to Alexanderplatz.
By the way I've been a civilian since '87.
A group of young US soldiers were in a small alleyway by the square (Platz) trading trinkets with young Soviet soldiers.

As for Makarovs, is it only a minor disadvantage to use ammo that the vast majority of US owners cannot use, and vice versa? Or is it the same with many US calibers? It appears that much, if not most of the ammo is corrosive?

Last edited by Laufer; 12-17-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Boris:

Was Potsdam near the British sector?
Just curious, because three months before the wall came down, I took a stroll thru Checkpoint Charlie to Alexanderplatz.
By the way I've been a civilian since '87.
A group of young US soldiers were in a small alleyway by the square (Platz) trading trinkets with young Soviet soldiers.

As for Makarovs, is it only a minor disadvantage to use ammo that the vast majority of US owners cannot use, and vice versa? Or is it the same with many US calibers? It appears that much, if not most of the ammo is corrosive?
Potsdam was in the Soviet Sector I was over there training with the SEK in 1992 (ish) and spent sometime trading on my days off with the Russian deserters near the Brandenburgh Gate, you are right interesting times.

The Unit at the time was not understandably equiped with East German (Soviet Block) weapons. They got to shoot HK's and Sig Sauer 226's and we indulged ourselves with Makarov's.
I would assume that almost all of former Soviet or Russian military ammunition to have corrosive primers.

But to clarify a point in my previous post, the Czech Cz82 was designed for the Czech 9mm Makarov ammunition, which is loaded a little stiffer than the Russian stuff......... but I never heard of them giving a problem...........

Last edited by Boris; 12-23-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:57 AM   #9

Thanks Boris. You must have had fun in Berlin after the fall of "der eiserne Vorhang".
That little Mak. handgun has its appeal, but don't know when I'll buy a handgun (have only carbines).

Does it have a good safety etc?
As for safeties, have read that the Russian-designed Tokarev does not have a positive safety but don't know what that means.
Seeing your flag, you might not know whether the ammo is widely available 'here' in the US, where we drive on the wrong side of the road.

Last edited by Laufer; 12-26-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Thanks Boris. You must have had fun in Berlin after the fall of "der eiserne Vorhang".
That little Mak. handgun has its appeal, but don't know when I'll buy a handgun (have only carbines).

Does it have a good safety etc?
As for safeties, have read that the Russian-designed Tokarev does not have a positive safety but don't know what that means.
Seeing your flag, you might not know whether the ammo is widely available 'here' in the US, where we drive on the wrong side of the road.
Well the original Totarev TT30/33 service pistol was designed without a manual safety, although later civilian pistols have one glued on. Personally i prefer the original service model. I dislike the idea of people putting a manual safety on a pistol merely for PC. I am confident enough in my own training and skills to safely carry the pistol without endangering myself or anyone else. It is very consealable for a full service pistol and the 7.62 mm (type P) is a kick arse round and will drill holes through Threat 2A like a Black and Decker!.............

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg20-e.htm

Last edited by Boris; 12-27-2008 at 11:52 AM.