CZ-82 not Polygonal rifling?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > CZ-82 not Polygonal rifling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CZ-82 not Polygonal rifling?

I bought my first gun a month or so ago and have been reading a lot about it. I got a fair deal $185+tax, in ok condition. The only thing that is strange to me is that I have read a lot about the "polygonal" rifling. My concern is that the gun is not. I can clearly see the lands and grooves, instead of the "hills and valleys" that polygonal should be.

So my question is:
Is this gun polygonal? Maybe just hasn't been used enough to wear away the grooves? Or did someone replace the barrel? The numbers on the barrel match the number on the slide.

s3010064.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The polygonal barrels don't have lands and grooves, they practically look like a smooth bore when looking through the barrel. Some of these 82 have had the barrels changed to use 380 Auto instead of Makarov.

If you have definite lands and grooves it may be a 380 conversion pistol or it could also be one of the pistols with the new USA barrel for J&G.

CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military pistol, VG condition, new USA made barrel, CALIFORNIA PACKAGE w/ 9rd mag.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The barrel in your gun has been replaced at some point. CZ-82's are chambered in 9x18 and have polygonal rifling. This style of rifling, as mentioned above, will appear as a smooth bore and will flat freak you out the first time you see one.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

Yep ~ Definitely not a 'Poly' barrel, I thought I saw Century or somebody selling CZ82's a while back advertising 'NEW' American made barrels with standard rifling, I could be wrong, But I'd almost swear I saw it. I just didn't pay much attention since I already had my 82.

You might have a standard rifled bore, but the CZ82 is still one hell of a good gun and a great buy, Enjoy it.

TJB

BTW: Nice Close-up Pic

Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
...I thought I saw Century or somebody selling CZ82's a while back advertising 'NEW' American made barrels with standard rifling, I could be wrong, But I'd almost swear I saw it. I just didn't pay much attention since I already had my 82.
Yep, Century has the 82 with the USA barrels, as does J&G mentioned above.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #6

Definitely doesn't look polygonal to me. Didnt know there were replacement barrels for these. I would be some what upset if I found this out...