The Duracoat process was very easy. If you have basic handyman skills, you can do it. I bought the kit which includes everything you need including the airbrush and can of propellant if you don't have an oil-less air compressor. They have more color choices (even camo configurations) than you can shake a stick at. Here is the link for Duracoat Lauer Weaponry Online Order Center
The process that I used was as follows:
1. Remove grips, remove slide and spring. To do this, REMOVE MAGAZINE
, pull trigger well down until it clicks, pull slide back until it is able to be pull upward, pull upward and while holding the slide with a firm grip, move it forward and the slide and spring will come off. Or see this link
2. Lightly sand the gun using 0000 steel wool to remove loose/chipped paint and smooth out any ridges from the original finish. You can also remove the original finish, but not necessary.
3. Clean the gun with the cleaner that comes with the kit (you MUST remove any oil, solvents or foreign matter from the gun before you start).
4. Tape of barrel with painters tape and plug ends of barrel with soft earplugs.
5. Mix finish with hardener that is provided in the kit according to the instructions.
6. Hang parts from coat hangers or similar. Apply finish in even coats and hold the airbrush about 6"-8" away from the gun and grips as you apply it. Allow a couple of minutes between coats for drying. Apply in a well ventilated area and don't allow dust or debris to get on it during this process. I coated everything except the barrel because the product goes on so thin that it does not interfere with the operation of the parts. If you use the can of propellant MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT IN A POT OF WARM WATER BECAUSE IT WILL FREEZE UP
7. Use the kitchen oven to bake on the finish (except the plastic grips). Do this at 150 - 175 degrees for 20 minutes.
8. After it cools, re-assemble and you are done. I let mine cure
out for 2-3 weeks before I put rounds through it just to be sure. I have about 400-500 rounds through it and the finish is holding up well so far.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.