Curios & Relics - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Curios & Relics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Okay, I'm confused...

You were told to get a Class 03 (C&R) to get a Class III weapon?

To get the NFA clearance, you do not need to get an FFL. Just complete the required paperwork.

Am I missing something?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8709 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Woody- an 03 C&R FFL is just that- a Federal Firearms License. Unlike a Dealer's 01 FFL, an 03 is limited to firearms defined as Curios and Relics. That means a firearm that is 50 years old or older (not the model, THAT gun) OR a firearm on the list published by the BATFE without regard to age (such as ALL Winchester Model 88s, ALL Colt Woodsman pistols)

I have a C&R FFL. Last week, I won an auction for a Mossberg 151K rifle. That rifle was only made 1950-1951. I sent the seller a money order, and a signed copy of my C&R FFL. FedEx brought it to me last Friday. I entered the rifle into my "bound book" of acquisitions and dispositions. THAT is what an 03 C&R FFL is for.

You cannot MAIL a handgun by US Mail with a C&R FFL (Dealers and Mfgr's ONLY can mail a handgun) but you CAN mail shotguns/ rifles, and you CAN receive handguns by FedEx and UPS. But ONLY C&R firearms. MODERN firearms still go thru an 01 FFL (dealer)

You may also buy a C&R HANDGUN when in another state. An unlicensed person cannot buy a handgun in a state they do not reside in- it must be shipped to a dealer in their home state. YOU may COLLECT in any state.

Go HERE and do some reading- Welcome to Cruffler.com!

You can also send me a PM if you need some more info.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #13

That clears up alot shooter Thanx

And you know I suppose there is every chance that he told me to get a C&R. Was for his own piece of mind. I'm fairly confident that if I could not get a C&R that odds are I would not get a NFA tax stamp. And since the Gunshop would be building the gun for me. Not saying that's exactly the reason but makes sence to me.
Either way he has helped me out He has broadend my knowledge and now I'm still Definetly qualified to purchase weapons that I could not before

Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #14

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

And it "saves" you money too! Except... You spend more than you save

Sent from my DROID2 using FirearmsTalk

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
And it "saves" you money too! Except... You spend more than you save

Sent from my DROID2 using FirearmsTalk
Amen to that. When I first got my C&R back in ther 80's, I did just fine until those cool catalogs from just about every importer in the country started popping up in my mailbox with all sorts of cool pictures of guns that would be shipped right to my door if I just called a number and gave them another number found on a little card in my wallet. As most of those guns back then were under a hundred dollars, it seemed like a bargain...until the day that I counted them all and realized how much I was spending in the aggregate.

So to help "defray" my costs, I got an 01 FFL and started selling guns to friends and co-workers for a few dollars over my cost. But that backfired too, because almost everything that I ordered and handled for my friends was so cool that I had to call the wholesaler back and order another one for myself.

And then came Class III. But at least with those, you can get a cheap one, play with it for a while, then re-sell it and "trade up" to something bigger and cooler. I started out in 2003 with a junky MK 760 that I bought for $2100. I flipped it a couple of years later and bought an M2 carbine for what I'd sold the 760 for, then flipped the carbine a year later for another toy. My last aquisition was an M60 GPMG and I got it for a bit less than the gun that I sold to buy it, and I bought that one five flips down the road from the MK760. So My M60 honestly cost me $2100 plus $1200 in transfer taxes, spread out over 8 years, plus a lot of shopping around, which is fun anyway.

If you know the market, pay close attention to the machine gun sale boards and jump quick on the right deals with cash in your hand, you can score some fantastic deals. They are out there, especially in this economy as people are shedding their toys for cash.