Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Couple Of Old Pistols (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/couple-old-pistols-57956/)

Trez 02-17-2012 04:53 PM

Couple Of Old Pistols

2 Attachment(s)
I have a couple of old pistols I would like some info on... Ones a single shot .22 made by J. Stevens A.&T. Co. SN:41,8xx. Ive read that they are referred to as "Tip-up" or "Offhand" pistols. I tried to look them up but several of the models look very similar. Anybody know what model this is? A 35? 41? 43?? When it was made? Ballpark value?

Trez 02-17-2012 05:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next is a S&W .32 Safety Hammerless. I think its a first model but not sure, Whats the difference between the models? This ones SN: 79,9xx. I read blued models are slightly rarer?
Same thing, when was it made, ballpark value?
It seems to be in good condition, I just had to replace a spring. I wanna go shoot this, but have some questions...
I have a friend that said he might actually have a couple of old boxes of .32 S&W ammo, and one of the vintage "do-all" reloading tool. (Its a handheld reloader that has the lead bullet mold, case resizer/deprimer, and seats the bullet. Its the same era as the pistol)

I understand this is a black powder cartridge, but Ive read you can use very light smokeless loads.. Do you guys think I could use some Trail Boss powder?

hiwall 02-17-2012 06:03 PM

The 22 looks like the diamond model. You should have put something in the picture to show scale. A couple of the offhand pistols were about the same except for size. yours maybe about $300 or so.
The lemon-squeezers don't have much value unless its a special one(yours is regular). About $100 to $150. A local gun shop has had one like yours but with real pearl grips for $129 and they have had it for awhile.

Trez 02-17-2012 06:24 PM

The .22 has a barrel length of 4.75" and a overall length of about 9"...

jpattersonnh 02-17-2012 08:45 PM

Those are very cool! I like the .22.

Trez 02-17-2012 09:21 PM

No info on shooting the S&W?? :(

jpattersonnh 02-17-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trez (Post 711878)
No info on shooting the S&W?? :(

Put ammo in it?:rolleyes:

Rex in OTZ 02-18-2012 07:44 AM

Ammo goes in the cylinder?

3 Attachment(s)
its a revolver and loads from the side:p

Rex in OTZ 02-18-2012 07:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Stuffing metalic ctgs in the front side the cylinder?

Revolver Teat-Fire de Moores

Circa 1865: 32 caliber revolver.

This gun was made during the decade when Smith and Wesson had exclusive rights in the US to manufacture guns with bored-through chambers based on the Rollin White patent.

This gun was designed to circumvent the Rollin White/Smith Wesson patent. The chambers loaded from the front with cartridges that held primer in nipples which protruded from the rear of the cylinder.

Merwin Cup Fire Revolver (Bottom)Just like on the Moore Teatfire, the cartridges were designed for muzzle-loading. Empty shells were also expelled out of the chambers from rear to front.

The main difference with the Moore is that the back of the cartridges were in a cup instead of a teat, which explains the name "cupfire".

c3shooter 02-18-2012 11:52 AM

Ordinary lead bullet .32 S&W should be fine- the current loadings are equal to black powder loads.

The teat fire and cup fire (have a couple of rounds in collection, but not the revolvers) were an effort to get around the Rollin White patents on loading a revolver from the rear of the cylinder.

The were a couple of other weirdies- the lipfire (rimfire- but only on one side) but the rarest is probably the Crispin. Rimfire of sorts- rim is a raised ring halfway down the cartridge case. An original Crispin cartridge that can pass X ray exam is about $600 each. I have ONE reproduction of a Crispin in collection.