Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Cosmoline removal - methods? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/cosmoline-removal-methods-45313/)

Jpyle 07-16-2011 07:28 PM

Cosmoline removal - methods?

Just picked up a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 last night. It's an arsenal refurbished model imported by Liberty Arms. Not sure what arsenal refurbished means or when it happened but the wood and metal look to be in excellent shape. Bolt has a nice shiny appearance with no evidence of pitting or any surface grime or rust. Wood has that cosmoline waxy feel to it and is free from any insect or "storage" damage.

Now, as all you Mosin owners are aware...cosmoline is now enemy #1. I have done some reading but have yet to find a cosmoline removal method that seems better than any other, what say you FTF? What have you used, how well did it work? Are you an Ed's Red fan; brake cleaner, mineral spirits, kerosine, kitty litter, microwave, oven cleaner, or oven user?

I expect to strip the gun down to parts and do a complete cleanup of each part so please, if a specific method works on the bolt but not the barrel, etc...feel free to be specific. Also, does the use of the product require the wood to be refinished? What type of protectant would be recommended after cleaning the stock and foregrips...shellac, varnish, Tung oil?

I know, lots of questions...thanks for all replies and suggestions...

yellowhand 07-16-2011 07:53 PM

I always just wipe off the heavy stuff with rags, then use the spray on gun crud buster and wipe off the film.
For bores, same thing, just push out the heavy layer with patches and then spray in the crud buster and let it work for a while and clean as normal.
The spray on will work on the dried stuff, just needs a little time to do its thing.
Time and elbow grease.

Firearms4ever 07-16-2011 07:59 PM

I wipe off all the excess with rags, and then I take the firearm fully apart and soak it in Ballistol. Then some elbow grease and time is all the rest requires.

leadfoot 07-16-2011 08:17 PM

cleaning a 91/30

I bought my nagant about 1 year ago. I cleaned my rifle with just plain kerosene. I bought a gallon for 4 bucks at the local gas station and soaked everything small while swabbing all the big parts with a paint brush including the stock and barrel. Works great and does no harm (actually kero is somewhat of a lubricant).
Funny you should ask, since I just ordered a Nagant pistol which should be arriving this week. I guess I'll be smelling like kero again ! (not all bad )

CA357 07-16-2011 09:11 PM

I've used gasoline with good results although the purists may disagree. ;)

jpattersonnh 07-16-2011 09:23 PM

Mineral spirits. Gas is not bad, but I smoke. So, Mineral spirits are much safer. By the time your done soaking, scrubbing it will look like stain.

Jpyle 07-16-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 543250)
Mineral spirits. Gas is not bad, but I smoke. So, Mineral spirits are much safer. By the time your done soaking, scrubbing it will look like stain.

low odor, odorless or the hard stuff?

Dragonheart 07-16-2011 09:42 PM

In the military we used kerosene. It's cheap and it works.

alsaqr 07-16-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

I've used gasoline with good results although the purists may disagree.
Works for me too.

jpattersonnh 07-17-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 543258)
low odor, odorless or the hard stuff?

\Does it really matter w/ an ember in the area? Strait mineral spirits. I've done a dozen rifles w/ only a quart, still have 1/2 left.