Collecting C&R guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Collecting C&R guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Collecting C&R guns

I new to the forum and have decided this year to start collecting C&R guns. My question I would like advice on is where is the best place to acquire C&R guns. I know the obvious, e.g., finding someone who needs money fast, but I doubt I will ever have such luck. Anyway, I have been looking at the bigger named auction sites and have looked at the online gun dealers and noticed a fairly large diffference in pricing. The dealers appear to be asking top dollar and the auctions are getting what the auctioners are willing to bid. Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts/advice on where my best avenues to collecting C&R guns lay.

I will be applying for my C&R license this week and hope to put it to good use.

Thanks
Charlie

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8684 Times on 3759 Posts
Likes Given: 1334

Depends on WHICH C&R guns tickle yer fancy. Me, I like Mossberg and Remington 22 rifles from the 40s and 50s- but also have assorted Milsurps, that NICE little Marlin, and I could not BELEIVE the price on that Flite King pump, and... well, you get the idea.

Personally partial to auctionarms. I bid on a lot more than I get (thank God!). I travel a lot on business, keep a couple of copies of my C&R in my wallet for targets of opportunity. Last 3 guns shows were a disappointment- I own more Mossbergs than were in all 3 shows combined.

For auctions, know what it is you are bidding on, what THAT gun is worth, and what you are willing to pay. A "W. Richards" shotgun is NOT a Westley Richards, and just being old does not mean valuable. You can also find the wholesalers that you like, send them a copy of your license, get on their email list.

And prepare to stay broke for a while. PS- send Numrich and Brownells a copy- they give a nice discount to any FFL holder on parts.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #3

+1 on what c3 said, find out what you like.
I tend to lean toward bolt guns,they just catch my eye.....but then semi autos......
Once you get it post some pics and show us why you're broke!!!!!

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, this is propably a stupid question, but here goes:

What is C & R? (in relation to guns that is)

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Curio and Relic.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Define top dollar. I can find Mosin Nagants for around 80 bucks from AIM, J&G Sales, IO, Century International.

Right now SOG (Southern Ohio Gun) has free shipping on long guns .

P.S. You do have a C&R license, don't you? I hated having to pay transfer fees before I got mine.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #7

Default C&R collecting

Thanks guys, I feel a little more confident now. I was mainly asking for opinions on whether you all thought the long road is better served in the autions or the retailers. I haven't tried the auctions yet but have noticed the prebidding was quite a bit lower than the suggested listed estimated values, whereas the online retailers are pretty much asking the high end of the estimated value listed that the auctioneers list on similiar weapons. I was just thinking I probably could get a better deal at the auction unless it is something that everyone just has to have. I'll definitely be in the cheap seats for the auctioned items (3 and 4 figure price range). I missed out on the fortunes everyone else made in the IT boom that can now buy the 6 figure and up collectables.

I'm primarily interested in collecting probably pistols (mostly US military) from the early 1900s and earlier. I love the old revolvers. I may also like to collect a few pre-1900s saddle rifles, both military and western rifles. I only plan on purshasing a couple of guns a year mostly for collecting and passing them on to my family, though I'm sure I will pick up a couple for trading for better stuff later.

Anyway, Happy New Year and thanks everyone for helping this old man out! I'll be sure to let everyone know what I acquire first and you all can have the pleasure of critiquing whether I paid to much for it!

Charlie

Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Personally partial to auctionarms. I bid on a lot more than I get (thank God!). I travel a lot on business, keep a couple of copies of my C&R in my wallet for targets of opportunity. Last 3 guns shows were a disappointment- I own more Mossbergs than were in all 3 shows combined.
Thanks for the tip on Auctionarms. I had not found that site until you mentioned it. Just got back from it and yes, I probably will be broke much of the time.

Charlie

Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #9

AIM Surplus (firearms/ammo seller), P.O. Box 556, Springboro, OH. 45066

Allan's Armory, P.O. Box 331, Graham, FL 32042
Aztec International, PO Box 771569, Ocala, FL 34477-1569, (352) 629-6290
Brownells Inc (gun parts etc.), 200 South Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171

Centerfire Systems, 102 Fieldview Dr, Versailles, KY 40383
Century Arms (firearms/ammo), 1161 Holland Dr., Boca Raton, FL 33487

Cole Distributing (firearms/ammo seller), P.O. Box 247, Scottsville, KY 42164

Empire Arms, P.O. Box 2068, Ormond Beach, FL 32175
FAC of America, 8035 Ranchers Road, Fridley, MN 55432, Phone: 1.800.486.5971
Graf and Sons, Inc (ammo, reloading, supplies etc.), 4050 S. Clark, Mexico, MO 65265

Huntingtons (ammo, reloading), P.O. Box 991, Oroville, CA 95965

J&G Sales (firearms, ammo, accessories), 440 Miller Valley Rd, Prescott AZ 86301

InterOrdnance, 3305 Westwood Industrial Dr., Monroe, NC 28110

L.C. Enterprises (firearms, ammo seller), S. 1093 Country Road G, Wonewoc, WI 53968

Numrich Gun Parts (gunparts Offers DISCOUNT), 226 Williams Lane, W. Hurley, NY 12491

SARCO Inc. (firearms/ammo, gunparts, accessories), P.O. Box 98, 323 Union Street, Stirling, NJ 07980

Southern Ohio Guns (SOG) (firearms/ammo), 240 Harmon Ave P.O. Box 590, Lebanon, OH 45036

Wholesale Guns (firearms/ammo), P.O. Box 289, Calverton, NY 11933

Midway USA (parts, ammo, reloading, books etc.), Dealer Sales, 5875 W. Van Horn Tavern Rd., Columbia, MO 65203

Samco (firearms/ammo), 6995 NW 43rd St, Miami, FL 33166

Send your FFL to these places and to:

Midway USA
Brownells
Numerich
Graf and sons

Lots more info here:
Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

KGB
01FFL - $20 Transfers In Indianapolis Area.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #10

Gun shows. How are they in Montgomery and Mobile? Is the C&R just a back-up?

Except for the show last Saturday, the Southaven/Memphis area shows has always have a few good MN 44s, 91/30s etc and had a very good LE "JC" last September. Batesville MS had two original LE #4s last July, priced at $200 and $300. The really nice Savage for $200 was a "carry-in".
I never made an offer for the Savage because the seller had forgotten how to remove the bolt, as I was already going by him towards a cash machine to buy the other LE.

Imagine the shipping costs you will save, and the simple fact that You will get to first inspect the items. Bring a good flashlight, because some buildings are a bit gloomy for inspecting bores/rifling.
The show last weekend in Southaven had an excellent Savage LE #4 (listed a bit high: $375), very good bent bolt Yugo Mauser ($150) and a guy had a really good FN FAL on his shoulder (very bright bore), wanted $700. I have his cell phone #. He lives in Batesville.

Some of the best deals are guns carried by people, but some don't show up until afternoon. On the other hand, my experienced buddies always show up when the doors open and have found very nice Polish MN 44s etc before others discover them on, or hidden behind/under tables.

Last edited by Laufer; 01-05-2010 at 08:58 AM.