cleaning stocks for 1903 & Garand - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > cleaning stocks for 1903 & Garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 193 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
I just acquired a M1903A3 and an M1 Garand, to go with my M1A. They are in very good shape with excellent bores. The stocks have some dings and scrapes, but still nice. They are, however, very dark. I want to clean and preserve them. Not refinish. Clean and preserve with what? That's the question.
Thanks
You say the wood is dark, does it have a lot of oil soaked into it?

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 03-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 928 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 272

Just like C3 said. Found no peanut butter though.
The fellow I got them from was very generous with oil and grease. It's in FL so that is a good thing. All metal is in great shape. I had to run a bore snake through before firing.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 03-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 193 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Just like C3 said. Found no peanut butter though.
The fellow I got them from was very generous with oil and grease. It's in FL so that is a good thing. All metal is in great shape. I had to run a bore snake through before firing.
I have done this before, and it lightens up stocks that have a lot of oil in them. You have to be careful though. I have a heat gun that I pass over the wood until it begins to sweat. I take a rag and wipe off the oil. Repeat this over the whole stock using a clean section of rag to wipe so as not to reapply the oil. I let the stock set over night. I have no proof, but I think that the oil deeper in the stock migrates to the surface were you had removed the oil. When I use the heat gun the second day I can still sweat out out. It takes me about three days of doing this when little oil can be raised by the heat, and the wood is somewhat lighter in color. You have to be careful not to burn the wood by using too much heat too long, and not to catch the oily rags on fire. I use a roll of paper towels so I can pitch them when they become oily, and then be able to use a clean dry piece next time. If the stock was really covered in grease and cosmoline, I use spray brake pad cleaner first, let the spray cleaner completely evaporate before using the heat gun. I have had to do this to almost every milsurp rifle I have had. Hope this rambling of an old fart helps

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. Kind of like C3's black bag method, only quicker.
I am surprised at the unique methods available.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Do not use oven cleaner. The wood will turn yellow. I speak from experience. 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10102 Times on 4356 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

I would also remind anyone that linseed oil + rags = fire. Linseed reacts with oxygen, and has a "slow burn" effect. Generates enough heat to char cloth, and suddenly POOF! into flame about a half hour after you are not paying attention to things.

Either put rags/ paper towels into a fireproof METAL container, or into a plastic bag with enough water/ detergent to saturate the rag. Or just take them directly to a safe spot, and burn them right there.

For those that read, there is a big warning about this hazard on the label of linseed oil cans.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #17

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have used GOOP a waterless hand cleaner with excellent results to clean quite a few misurp stocks that were as described by the OP. Harbor Freight carries GOOP as do a number of Auto Stores. Be careful do not get the waterless hand cleaners that contain any kind of abrasive. Just take the rifles out of the stock and apply apply and hand rub until the white GOOP gets dark. Remove with a soft cloth and reapply as needed. Finished my BIL's CMP M1 Garand a few moths back.

Last edited by samnev; 03-27-2014 at 05:14 PM.
25-5 Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10102 Times on 4356 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

I use GOOP to de-cosmoline metal parts- soft nylon brush, flush with HOT water, leaves kitchen smelling like oranges. You can get it at Dollar Tree as well.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

C3
A bit of update. I am in S FL where I bought the rifles. Got a few boxes of 30-06 and have shot them quite a bit. Grouping within 1 M.O.A. I'm a happy milsurp nut.
Anyway, I was in the hot sun and the 03A3 was sweating oil and brown crap (probably peanut butter) like mad. I was wiping it off with a towel and it kept on coming. When I get it home I'll do the bag thing with paper towels and see how well the quicker picker upper works.
Thanks
25-5