Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   cleaning stocks for 1903 & Garand (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/cleaning-stocks-1903-garand-105133/)

25-5 03-16-2014 01:36 AM

cleaning stocks for 1903 & Garand

I just acquired a M1903A3 and an M1 Garand, to go with my M1A. They are in very good shape with excellent bores. The stocks have some dings and scrapes, but still nice. They are, however, very dark. I want to clean and preserve them. Not refinish. Clean and preserve with what? That's the question.
Thanks

c3shooter 03-16-2014 02:16 AM

For most, you can use any good furniture cleaner, and an oil made or wood (NOT GUN OIL!!!)

What you are possibly seeing is generations of lubricating oil, grease, cosmoline, hair oil, bear fat, and peaner butter sammidges.

I have a SMLE from 1915 that could solve the worlds oil crisis if we could just get it out of the stock! What I HAVE done that is fairly gentle, and seems to work-

1. Remove action from stock.
2. Roll stock in several layers of brown paper grocery bags
3. Put rolled up stock in a BLACK plastic garbage bag
4. Place bag in direct sunlight
5. Leave for as long as sun is shining. Turn about once an hour.

Inside bag gets hot- but not so hot as to damage wood. Brown paper grocery bags wick up the oil driven out of wood by heat.

There is another route, involving a paste of acetone and whiting (powder from paint store) Paint it on, acetone goes into wood, pulls crud out into whiting. When dry, brush off soiled whiting with soft brush. Repeat until you have a buzz from acetone fumes. Leave rifle, go look for kidney donor to replace one you just fried with a highly flammable solvent.

I prefer the trash bag route for a first attempt.

molonlabexx 03-16-2014 02:23 AM

Murphy's wood soap has never steered me wrong. Mix it with some hot water and you are good to go. The hot water opens the pores of the wood, as always go with the grain.

JWagner 03-16-2014 02:46 AM

I think that the bag method will be the winner here, as he stated that he was interested in keeping the finish. The acetone would be pretty tough on any finish. Midway USA has a number of Youtube videos on gunsmithing and they have one in which the stock is soaked in acetone to get the oil out.

therewolf 03-16-2014 07:30 AM

Midway also sells a composite stock for the Garand.

Blasphemy, I know, but the crisp, clean new black stock

looks rad with the white-metal action, and doesn't make

your skin crawl, every time you pick it up.;)

Orlando 03-16-2014 12:23 PM

Wipe lightly with mineral spirits, when dry apply BLO

25-5 03-16-2014 12:50 PM

cleaning stocks for 1903 & Garand

I like the original furniture and tend towards tung oil to finish. I know what LOL is, but need help with BLO.

Orlando 03-16-2014 12:59 PM

BLO=Boiled Linseed Oil

1563621 03-16-2014 09:38 PM

Apply BLO 1x per week for 6 weeks. Brush on and let sit for 1/2 hr. wipe off. Search for gunny paste. really will fin ish off.

25-5 03-16-2014 10:48 PM

Gunny paste:
Equal parts BLO, Beeswax, and Turpentine or Mineral Spirits.
A very old and revered recipe. Thanks