Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Cleaning and displying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks guys!!! Do I try to get the stock screw fixed or leave it? I worry it my break it is very wobbly and the screw head is so rusted it has no slot left. The rifle sat in my grandad's closet since 57 till we cleaned the house out after my uncle passed last year.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1338 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 3324

GaMatt72,

Leave the screw alone if you have no intentions of firing it. Just protect it as advised in previous threads and display it. Another reason is that it would be next to impossible to find the exact same screw to replace it with. Replacing the screw would take away from the value of the weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72 View Post
Thanks guys!!! Do I try to get the stock screw fixed or leave it? I worry it my break it is very wobbly and the screw head is so rusted it has no slot left. The rifle sat in my grandad's closet since 57 till we cleaned the house out after my uncle passed last year.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I agree in part to this statement. A total restoration of an old weapon would heretical. However, preserving the weapon would be doing the right thing. Case in point, all of the weapons that you see in museums have been restored and preserved to the point of protecting them, thus making them virtually priceless. Contact a Museum in your area and ask them what they did to preserve the weapons. Some may have trade secrets pertaining to what they did, but they will at least point you in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I have collected, shot and delt in antique firarms for over 4 decades now. A refinished gun is an abomination to antique gun collectors. When a gun is refinished the entire history of the gun is FOREVER gone. The world is chock full of shiny guns with no caractor. What the world is in short supply of, is guns with caractor. Every dent, ding, and rub are this guns history and a testament to your grandfathers useage. I disagree with adding linseed oil to the stock. There are other ways to preserve wood without adding finish. Also remember that this gun was not built to withstand the pressures of modern hi speed ammo, use only standard velocity ammo to reduce wear.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks again guys. I know this is not a high value weapon but since it was my Great Granddad's squirrel rifle and I never got to meet him it means a lot. I am honored that my dad and Uncle decided I was the best one to keep it. I am 39 and hope to give it to my daughters kids in the future.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That is what a weapon is for. Whether it is from your ancestor or you. Pass them on to your children / grandchildren and make sure that they are well educated in the history and proper use of firearms. My kids have already picked out their favorites of mine.....the little vultures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72 View Post
Thanks again guys. I know this is not a high value weapon but since it was my Great Granddad's squirrel rifle and I never got to meet him it means a lot. I am honored that my dad and Uncle decided I was the best one to keep it. I am 39 and hope to give it to my daughters kids in the future.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
I agree in part to this statement. A total restoration of an old weapon would heretical. However, preserving the weapon would be doing the right thing. Case in point, all of the weapons that you see in museums have been restored and preserved to the point of protecting them, thus making them virtually priceless. Contact a Museum in your area and ask them what they did to preserve the weapons. Some may have trade secrets pertaining to what they did, but they will at least point you in the right direction.
I agree sorta of. I have been in many many gun museums, researched many hidden behind the glass that others dont get the oppertunity to examine, have had 7 of my own collection on display in various museums, and was firearm currator in a small museum and have yet to seen a

Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry about the accidental ending of above post, to continue where I left off, and have yet to see a restored firearm displayed. Of the thousand or so I have examined that is. Where the confusion may be is what each of us consider restoring. Most all guns were cleaned and preserved using oils on the metal and wood preservative on the wood.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

30-30 You are certainly entitled to your opinions when it comes to restoration but there are cases where a restoration is warrented. I've made it my business to restore antique firearms. My clients are those who want to be able to take grandads old shotgun or rifle out to the ranges and not simply have it remain a wall hanger. I look at firearm restoration the same way others look at restoring old cars or any other antique. You can look at a dent or ding all day long and try to imagine that it was caused in battle. Perhaps it was simply there from careless storage.. Who really knows.. In any event, raising an old firearm from the dead is a rewarding venture in my opinion. an opinion, I might add, that is shared buy many who make it their business to restore firearms. Just ask Doug Turnbull. For those buying into the myth that restoring a firearm lessens it's overall value? Done incorrectly, that may be true. Done correctly, it is far from true. Case in point: A Turnbull restored firearm has consistantly sold for more than it would sell for unrestored.

There is much that goes into a proper restoration and very few have the experience or patience to do it properly. What gives restoration a bad name mostly comes from the guys who attack a firearm with sandpaper in one hand and a can of spray paint in the other...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"