Chinese Arisaka in 7.62x39??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Chinese Arisaka in 7.62x39??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Default Chinese Arisaka in 7.62x39??

Looking around the web I came across this and I want one!!
Apparently after China adopted the SKS and AK, they still had a bunch of Type 38 Arisakas left over that they captured from Japan, so they started to rebuild them into carbines that used the 7.62x39 round by replacing the barrel from a SKS..

A little info from (Theres more if your interested):http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/arisakas-in-7-62x39mm

Quote:
For many decades, the various Chinese military forces used an interesting variety of different weapons. Some purchased under contract, some locally manufactured, and some captured. One such captured weapon was the Type 38 Arisaka rifle. The Japanese lost a significant number of them in China, and they were not overlooked by their captors. Once China had adopted the SKS and then AK as front-line weapons, a large number of captured Type 38s were converted to use the standard 7.62x39mm cartridge.

I like the idea of a nice light carbine in that caliber, but what makes these guns particularly interesting to me is the variety of ways the conversion was done. Some guns were converted in batches by decently equipped shops, while others were made in a much more independent, ad hoc manner.

The top rifle is of the most common type, converted as part of a fairly organized effort. The bottom one is much more like a field conversion. The major element in both conversions was replacement of the original barrel with an SKS barrel, but clearly done in different ways. The more official guns had the triangular Arisaka front sights put back on the new barrels, while the more unique gun used the SKS barrel complete with bayonet, front stock cap, and bayonet.

The bolts and extractors were not modified as part of these conversions, and they work pretty well with the 7.62 cartridge. I spent some time at the range with the top rifle, and it never failed to extract. It would occasionally fail to feed or drop an empty case before reaching the ejector if I did not operate the bolt smoothly. Interestingly, no effort appears to have been made to regulate the sights for the conversion, as the rifle I was shooting was about 3 inches high at 25 yards and a good 2 feet high at 200 yards (at the lowest sight setting).

How hard do you guys think it would be to build one? The hardest thing I would think is getting a SKS barrel with out the gas system attachment... Would anybody know where to get one? Is there a similar barrel I could use?
I like the looks of both rifles, the one with the Arisaka front sights and the SKS front sight and bayonet... So I dont care what the one I build looks like..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Why not just convert to 7.62x39 with a new barrel? You can buy barrel blanks in that caliber.. Just have a smith mate it to the arisaka action..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"