Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Chilean Mauser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Chilean Mauser?

To be honest I havent been into C&Rs in awhile. Has anyone purchased or heard anything about the Chilean Mausers being sold by Center Fire Systems?
Im intrested in buying a military bolt gun in 7.62x51 but since its an on line purchase its kind of diffcult to eye ball the bore. Any input would be helpfull. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2550 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

On one hand these are 1895 model small ring Mauser actions. This action is not as strong as the later large ring. This always starts an argument, but I do not feel comfortable shooting modern full power .308 ammo through a small ring action. IF, and that is one really big IF, you are going to shoot mild handloads, it should be fine. A steady diet of Hornaday light magnum ammo would be very bad, potentially disasterous.

On the other hand, the guns have been re-barreled. This may have been done in the late 50's of as late as last week. My bet (sight unseen) is they were rebarreled in the 50's or 60's in a similar was as the Spanish Guardia Civil rifles were.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #3

J&G has some Chilean 1912/61 Mausers. Those are large ring model 98 actions that were rebarreled with 03 Springfield barrels. I got 2 of them from Centerfire a few years ago when they were available and they are outstanding shooters. They cleaned up nicely and had excellent bores and are very accurate. Unfortunately, J&G doesn't sell them as C&R since they were rebarreled. Centerfire did.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
On one hand these are 1895 model small ring Mauser actions. This action is not as strong as the later large ring. This always starts an argument, but I do not feel comfortable shooting modern full power .308 ammo through a small ring action. IF, and that is one really big IF, you are going to shoot mild handloads, it should be fine. A steady diet of Hornaday light magnum ammo would be very bad, potentially disasterous.

On the other hand, the guns have been re-barreled. This may have been done in the late 50's of as late as last week. My bet (sight unseen) is they were rebarreled in the 50's or 60's in a similar was as the Spanish Guardia Civil rifles were.
I personally would not purchase one of the rifles built on a model 95 Mauser action because they are not designed to excede chamber of 45,000 lbs. You would have to reload to build your own ammo which is fine by me. My problem with reloading to that chamber pressure is I already have a number of 308`s in addition to the 7.62 by 51mm.

Patret

Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, same here. I have a Spanish M1916 Guardia Civil in 7.62X51 that I handload for - I keep it's loads to a level comparable to the .30-40 Krag. Enough 'grunt' to get the job done and shoot well, but does not risk kabooming the old warhorse. I keep these moderate loads clearly marked for it's use only.

My Spanish FR8 and CETME get handloads on military brass to full 7.62X51 level. NO .308Win commercial loads for any of them.

A bit more trouble to keep the ammo straight, but it's worth it considering the alternative......

Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses men. I scored a pristine 1917 30/06 Enfield yesterday so the Mauser idea got scrapped.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMACK View Post
Thanks for the responses men. I scored a pristine 1917 30/06 Enfield yesterday so the Mauser idea got scrapped.
Woo-Hoo! I did the same yesterday as well! I purchased a "cherry" .30 caliber US Model of 1917 (Eddystone). Note that while it is true that the Model of 1917 was a re-tooled version of the British P-14 rifle (re-barrelled to .30-06), the Model of 1917 is NOT correctly called an "Enfield". The P-14 was designed by the British at their Enfield Locks armory (thus the "Enfield" for the P-14) to supplement manufacturing capacity of their Enfield Mk 3 SMLE's for their WW1 needs, and the P-14 was chambered in the .303 British calber. The P-14's were manufactured in the US (Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone factories) because the Brits had their hands full making what limited numbers of Enfield SMLE's that they could manufacture at home.

The US started manufacturing the Model of 1917 by using the P-14 tooling (re-barrelled in .30-06) because Springfield and RIA could not make enough Model 1903's to fulfill the US military's requirments on our mobilization into WW1.

There were more Model of 1917 rifles used by US forces in WW1 than there were 1903's by a significant margin. Sgt. Alvin York won his Medal of Honor using a M-1917.

I'll post photos of my new M-1917 when I get a chance.

TXnorton

Last edited by TXnorton; 07-24-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I love my 1917 Eddystone evern though it was sporterized. At least it was sporterized well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
Yep, same here. I have a Spanish M1916 Guardia Civil in 7.62X51 that I handload for - I keep it's loads to a level comparable to the .30-40 Krag. Enough 'grunt' to get the job done and shoot well, but does not risk kabooming the old warhorse. I keep these moderate loads clearly marked for it's use only.

My Spanish FR8 and CETME get handloads on military brass to full 7.62X51 level. NO .308Win commercial loads for any of them.

A bit more trouble to keep the ammo straight, but it's worth it considering the alternative......
Please be careful shooting 7.62 by 51mm full pressure loads in your Spanish CETME. Those loads should be kept to about 45,000 psi. Chamber pressure is difficult to research pertaining to your CETME. Small Arms of the World is a good start as a reference book. I did not purchase one of those rifles because of the reduced chamber pressure. The civilian 308 in not necessarily interchangeable with the military 7.62 by 51mm. For example, the M1a, M14 and M60 rounds are different than the 308 civilian rounds. Please consider this as a heads up because of safety considerations. Your post indicates you are aware of the problem.

Patret