case sticking in chamber.... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

case sticking in chamber....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 144 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 771

where could i get some of that kroil from?i've used everything i had 'pretty much' and got the rifle to chamber and extract no probs...being that the barrel is about shot out...its prob just going to sit in the safe untill funds let me rebarrel her...my old camera only has 3.1 mega pixels so the pics suck...
garand-barrel.jpg   garand.jpg  

Old 02-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #12

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Brownells and Midway sell Kroil. It should be a part of every gun owners tool kit.

Have you guaged your bbl for throat erosion and muzzle wear?

Before replacing it, have it checked out by an M1 armorer who knows what they are doing. If your Garand was re-barreled in 69 (or later) it did not see much military use.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #13

i dont have throat or muzzle gauges to check it...i see what your saying about the date on the barrel....the thing that has me guessing the barrel is shot out is when i take a round and stick it in the end of the barrel the bullet goes all the way into the muzzle,the case is touching the end of the barrel...could it be just a screwed up crown?...the crown does look a lil out of wack....after cleaning it...the inside the barrel looks like a sewer pipe riflings are visible but not very strong...there is one more weird thing about this rifle i dont understand...on the rear aperture sight has two kanji markings,along with a 50...does this mean the rifle was in the hands of the japs or chinese at one time?thanks again M14s

Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #14

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i got my hands on a SFA m1 garand...
So what is a "SFA" anyway?

Sounds like you got hold of a parade / honor guard rifle.
Worn out muzzle, sewer bore, cruddy chamber...... indications of a rifle that have fired a lot of blank cartridges and rarely if ever cleaned afterward.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #15

If a loaded round goes all the way in to the case mouth you are probably shot out. The markings you mention are Korean. You may have a Garand that has had some parts swapped out.

The So Koreans were given tons of Garands and carbines. Many thousands were re-imported back to CONUS in the 80's and 90's before Pres Clinton slammed the door shut. But lots of Korean marked parts are floating around.

Parts are also still made in Korea for the Garand and M14. Quality is very good but the reject rate is high.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #16

In case there is still some crudd in the chamber,, take a small cut piece ot towel/rag, just big enough to very tightly pack in chamber. DO NOT get cleaner on wood stock, etc. !! Spray or pour carb cleaner/fuel injector cleaner/engine degreaser soaking the rag & let the barrel sit on its muzzle for a day or so, in a place where leaking liquids won't hurt anything.[ in a tin can works fine. Resoak rag every once in awhile. Any deposits left should now be loose & easily removed.
If you still have problems, it is mechanical & needs to be examined by a " smith."

Old 02-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #17

''SFA'' i dont know myself..lol...i ment ''SA''..springfield armory

im not sure how this rifle was used..but it looks like it was used alot!i guess i threw 500bucks away on this POS...ya live ya learn i guess?

i got it to chamber pretty steady now..i can get it to hold under a 3inch groups @ 50yrds off a beanbag rest using greek surplus ammo...not sure if its me or just this rifle for the crappy groups,but im no ''rifle man'' by far...

yes,M14s...it looks that way...i do have about 5k of gas checked .309 lead bullets (155gr,165gr,170gr,180gr,190gr,220gr) i molded a while back...i stuck one of them in the barrel and it grabs onto the muzzle pretty good...wonder if i could load up some of these or some of the .310's,or .311's i have made up also and get a lil better results out of them in this rifle?...or would that be pushing the pressure levels to far?

i might give that a try also esteban...just to make sure its very clean...thanks everyone

Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
''SFA'' i dont know myself..lol...i ment ''SA''..springfield armory

im not sure how this rifle was used..but it looks like it was used alot!i guess i threw 500bucks away on this POS...ya live ya learn i guess?

i got it to chamber pretty steady now..i can get it to hold under a 3inch groups @ 50yrds off a beanbag rest using greek surplus ammo...not sure if its me or just this rifle for the crappy groups,but im no ''rifle man'' by far...

yes,M14s...it looks that way...i do have about 5k of gas checked .309 lead bullets (155gr,165gr,170gr,180gr,190gr,220gr) i molded a while back...i stuck one of them in the barrel and it grabs onto the muzzle pretty good...wonder if i could load up some of these or some of the .310's,or .311's i have made up also and get a lil better results out of them in this rifle?...or would that be pushing the pressure levels to far?

i might give that a try also esteban...just to make sure its very clean...thanks everyone
I'd have an experienced M1 Armorer look it over, just to be safe.

Lead bullets have been known to clog up the gas ports on Garands and such. You can use them, but keep it clean. Real clean.

If you are getting 3" groups at 50 you are in line with Gov't spec, believe it or not. IF (BIG IF) I remember right the WW2 spec was 6" groups at 100 to pass inspection. And the Greek ammo is pretty good stuff, but your handloads will be better. Do some reading on loading "Garand Spec" ammo, though. It (M2) is NOT the same as commercial .30-06.

For $500 you can strip off the receiver, trigger group and oprod and recoup your money. So don't sweat it. And there are some excellent aftermarket bbls avail. Also, put in some new springs. It will need that if they are the orig.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #19

I don't think your barrel is a military one, at least not a US military one. Possible Korean replacement. There doesn't appear to be a drawing number on it nor a month of manufacture. The letters and numbers appear too big for military stamping.

Remember to use a correct muzzle gauge also.

case sticking in chamber.... - Curio & Relic Discussion

case sticking in chamber.... - Curio & Relic Discussion