case sticking in chamber....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > case sticking in chamber....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Default case sticking in chamber....

i got my hands on a SFA m1 garand...the rifle is in good condition as for the barrel,chamber its very dirty!...i clean the bajesus out of it using bore scrubber with the typical mops,patches(paper towels),bore brush...when i load a live round into the bore,the case gets stuck and i have to pull on the op rod with alot of force to get the round to extract.(using a dead-blow hammer)...i know i should have the headspace checked before i fire this thing...but i took a chance and locked her in a gun vise w/a string tied to the trigger and the rifle fired...no bulges in case or any signs of excessive or weird markings on cases...it is leaving some scratch marks on the case right at the shoulder(when fired,the extracter is damaging the rim on case)..im wondering if some dirt or other debris got into this chamber and deformed it a lil making the cases stick?...if so...what would be a good way to remove any burs in the chamber?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Start with one of these:

CLN-111 - Chamber Brush Garand Any .30-06 Fits Auto and Bolt Rifles, 3 Pack

Old 02-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #3

What ammo are you using? Handloads by chance? If so, are they full length resized? The chambers in M1's aren't match chambers and will tolerate some crud in there and still chamber a round. They are combat rifles after all. Eliminate any other possibilities before you try to remove any supposed "burrs".

Old 02-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

carbeurator cleaner works wonders in filthy chambers, along with the appropriate chamber brush.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

i've cleaned this chamber..using the gi chamber brush...even ran a gun cleaning rod down barrel..then attached a .45cal brush hooked to a drill and backed up a few hundered times..and the cases still want to stick in the chamber...i've tried HXP 78 greek ammo i think?(being the worst)...also some federal,and some remington(handloads)that dont stick as bad as the milsurplus stuff?...ive used birchwood casey bore scruber and also blue wonder gun cleaner along with other cleaners...im going to let this blue wonder gel sit in the chamber for a while...then do my drill/.45cal brush thing...and see what happens

Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #6

Default Chamber

Is it possible that the rifle is still short chambered?
Need to check the headspace.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Is it a USGI surplus M1, or a commercial Springfield Armory? What are the bbl markings?

Pics?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #8

its chambered for 3006...it is a USGI surplus rifle.batterys in camera are dead,no pics until i can get back to wallyworld tonight.as for the barrel numbers they are 0729 69 8 MP.....i got it to chamber now...took alot of brushing out....it will need a rebarrel soon...its damn close to being shotout...anyone know about what a barrel swap will cost,not including the barrel...just to put barrel on,and headspace...?...god i hope i want need a new bolt....thanks eveyone for your suggestions on this subject.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good luck and please keep us informed.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Use some Kroil in the chamber and the bbl. Let it soak for a couple hours, scrub it and repeat. It may need to soak overnight, but the Kroil will get whatever might be stuck on the chamber walls to come off.

Your bbl was made in 69 and has been Magnafluxed and Proof tested based on the markings as you have described them. Post some pics when you get the batts, they will help.