Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   case sticking in chamber.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/case-sticking-chamber-23322/)

m72law 02-12-2010 01:33 PM

case sticking in chamber....

i got my hands on a SFA m1 garand...the rifle is in good condition as for the barrel,chamber its very dirty!...i clean the bajesus out of it using bore scrubber with the typical mops,patches(paper towels),bore brush...when i load a live round into the bore,the case gets stuck and i have to pull on the op rod with alot of force to get the round to extract.(using a dead-blow hammer)...i know i should have the headspace checked before i fire this thing...but i took a chance and locked her in a gun vise w/a string tied to the trigger and the rifle fired...no bulges in case or any signs of excessive or weird markings on cases...it is leaving some scratch marks on the case right at the shoulder(when fired,the extracter is damaging the rim on case)..im wondering if some dirt or other debris got into this chamber and deformed it a lil making the cases stick?...if so...what would be a good way to remove any burs in the chamber?

Highpower 02-12-2010 02:04 PM

Start with one of these:

CLN-111 - Chamber Brush Garand Any .30-06 Fits Auto and Bolt Rifles, 3 Pack

Dcomf 02-12-2010 04:13 PM

What ammo are you using? Handloads by chance? If so, are they full length resized? The chambers in M1's aren't match chambers and will tolerate some crud in there and still chamber a round. They are combat rifles after all. Eliminate any other possibilities before you try to remove any supposed "burrs".

willfully armed 02-12-2010 04:28 PM

carbeurator cleaner works wonders in filthy chambers, along with the appropriate chamber brush.

m72law 02-12-2010 04:50 PM

i've cleaned this chamber..using the gi chamber brush...even ran a gun cleaning rod down barrel..then attached a .45cal brush hooked to a drill and backed up a few hundered times..and the cases still want to stick in the chamber...i've tried HXP 78 greek ammo i think?(being the worst)...also some federal,and some remington(handloads)that dont stick as bad as the milsurplus stuff?...ive used birchwood casey bore scruber and also blue wonder gun cleaner along with other cleaners...im going to let this blue wonder gel sit in the chamber for a while...then do my drill/.45cal brush thing...and see what happens:confused:

30-06_mike 02-12-2010 07:03 PM

Chamber

Is it possible that the rifle is still short chambered?
Need to check the headspace.

M14sRock 02-13-2010 03:21 AM

Is it a USGI surplus M1, or a commercial Springfield Armory? What are the bbl markings?

Pics?

m72law 02-14-2010 12:07 AM

its chambered for 3006...it is a USGI surplus rifle.batterys in camera are dead,no pics until i can get back to wallyworld tonight.as for the barrel numbers they are 0729 69 8 MP.....i got it to chamber now...took alot of brushing out....it will need a rebarrel soon...its damn close to being shotout...anyone know about what a barrel swap will cost,not including the barrel...just to put barrel on,and headspace...?...god i hope i want need a new bolt:(....thanks eveyone for your suggestions on this subject.;)

CA357 02-14-2010 01:00 AM

Good luck and please keep us informed.

M14sRock 02-14-2010 01:38 AM

Use some Kroil in the chamber and the bbl. Let it soak for a couple hours, scrub it and repeat. It may need to soak overnight, but the Kroil will get whatever might be stuck on the chamber walls to come off.

Your bbl was made in 69 and has been Magnafluxed and Proof tested based on the markings as you have described them. Post some pics when you get the batts, they will help.