CAI Mosin Nagant 91/30

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > CAI Mosin Nagant 91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CAI Mosin Nagant 91/30

Have this Mosin that has had a bit of th sticky bolt problem in the past. I know we don't want to resurect old threads but I'm getting ready to go to the range in a couple of days and was cleaning and lubing, is there anything that will cut invisible cosomoline ie (baked in/on) I hve tried the usual suspects and ain't thrilled about hosing my Mosin down with brake cleaner.

I also noticed that and at the end of my bolts lift, (currently cleaned and oiled) that the bolt seems to drag about the last quarter inch. Is this related to my sticky bolt problem or some other problem of which I am unaware. I don't seem to notice that amount of drag on my M44 nor does it have the sticky bolt problem it has a slick bolt.

'the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'.

famous qoute from the people of Goliad TX to the Dictator Santa Anna 'come and take it' regarding the towns cannon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #2

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondamendment View Post
Have this Mosin that has had a bit of th sticky bolt problem in the past. I know we don't want to resurect old threads but I'm getting ready to go to the range in a couple of days and was cleaning and lubing, is there anything that will cut invisible cosomoline ie (baked in/on) I hve tried the usual suspects and ain't thrilled about hosing my Mosin down with brake cleaner.

I also noticed that and at the end of my bolts lift, (currently cleaned and oiled) that the bolt seems to drag about the last quarter inch. Is this related to my sticky bolt problem or some other problem of which I am unaware. I don't seem to notice that amount of drag on my M44 nor does it have the sticky bolt problem it has a slick bolt.

Well, the only way I know of is to soak the metal parts in Gasoline for 4-6 hours, pull it out and scrub and then lay out to dry so the gas evaporates...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

good luck

Old 06-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #4

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Have you noticed whether you are splitting the cartridges?

If you are using old ComBloc ammo, the shells have a tendency to

fracture. Once this happens,(during firing) the bolt is sluggish going

up the last 3/4 inch of travel, but once it's up, the shell

ejects cleanly...

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Clean well w/ Mineral spirits. Check for cracked cases.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Remove bolt. Short length of cleaning rod, .45 caliber brush, Hoppes #9. electric drill. Chuch rod in drill, dip brush in Hoppes, insert into CHAMBER, and only THEN spin the brush (or decorate the walls in the den) Keep brush moving in-out-in-out for 30-45 seconds. Swab chamber well with dry patches. The bolt design and angles, along with cocks-on-opening makes these hard to operate sometimes.

Of course, I am assuming that you stipped and cleaned the INSIDE of the bolt.....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #7

Take a shotgun mop use a short piece of cleaning rod attached to a battery drill and clean/polish the chamber with J&B bore paste and Kroil. The steel ammo coating, dirt, and years of oxidation can cause sticking in the inside of the chamber and a "clean" polished chamber is a happy chamber.

The hard bolt lift is caused by the cocking piece dragging on the bolt body, remove the bolt. Now inspect the camming surfaces for rough or galled metal, stone/polish as required. Then grease the camming areas on the bolt body and see if it gets better. (smoother operating)

Below, grease cocking camming area. (Super lub works great) This is the area you are feeling and moving across as you lift the bolt.

Keep the rear of your locking lugs greased to ease bolt opening and to prevent ware or galled metal on the lugs.

If you can dissemble your bolt completely you will be much better off getting the bolt 100% "CLEAN".

Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too have had very good results from the bore paste polishing technique - but go easy - a little dab will do ya!
I also find that the cheap Czech Light Ball Silvertip seems to stick more than the Hungarian Heavy Ball copperwashed.......
My brass-cased handloads are slick as goose snot......

Old 06-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

J&B bore paste is softer than steel and used by competitive shooter to clean their custom barrels.

J&B bore paste will NOT harm your chamber or your bore, it was designed to remove carbon residue and light copper fouling and copper is softer than barrel steel.

These guns were stored for years and tarnish can build up from just sitting around in storage. Once the chamber is cleaned and polished there will be nothing to cause the cartridges to "stick" in the chamber.

Please read the link below.

J-B® BORE COMPOUND & KROIL - Brownells

Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mosin

Go to You Tube and look for a guy named Irag Veteran 8888.

His videos will show you a few good ways to cure the stickey bolt as well as make your Mosin more accurate and have the bolt running as smooth as silk to boot.

"Listen, stupid..... The first week I was in this joint, somebody stole my Red Cross package, my blanket, and my left shoe. Well, since then I've wised up. This ain't no Salvation Army - this is everybody for himself, dog eat dog."

"In Confusion.......There Is Profit"
Lt. Nick Holden USN