C & R record keeping requirements?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > C & R record keeping requirements?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default C & R record keeping requirements?

I'm a new C & R licensee and have recently purchased my first few C & R firearms using my license.
Can anyone tell me what, if any, are the record keeping requirements?

I received a packet from the ATF but its not very clear on exactly what records I need to keep.

Sgt. Mena www.MyGunDiary.com
Thanks!

S

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9417 Times on 4058 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

You must maintain a "bound volume" of acquisitions and dispositions.

It CAN be kept on computer. You CAN buy a printed form from Brownells. Me, I went by Dollar General, got a small stitched journal type book, used a ruler, set up lines and columns- in two sections.

Front of the book has "Acquisitions"- guns I acquired- bought.

Date, type, action, make, model, caliber, serial number, from who, where.

Typical entry may be:

1/21/15 Rifle, bolt action Remlin 12-A, 22LR, No serial number, Joe Doaks Guns, 33 Mockingbird Lane, Sterling, West Carolina.
1/22/15 Shotgun, double, A H Fox, Sterlingworth, 12 g, SN 1234, Booby Broke, 12 Oak Lne, Hampton VA

If I sell or give away a gun- same thing, in the Disposition section.

Modern guns you bought outside of your license do not go in your bound book. ATF wants you to list any C&R guns you get, even if you did not use your license (face-to-face buy from a non-dealer) but I do not see that in the regs. But I do it.

When you renew your license, you will be asked how many you acquired, how many you disposed of- easy to pull out of your book.

If you ever destroy a gun (bought a non-working Marlin 81 for parts, did not need receiver) destroy the part by cutting it with a torch into 3 pieces, and in disposition, list it- but for name of recipient put DESTROYED BY TORCH CUTTING.

I also keep a large envelope taped inside back cover- if I got a gun from you, and you sent me a copy of your license, tuck it in there.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you very much!

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I'll end up keeping records on a computer and in a binder.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i bought reg fire arms dealer log book offline google fire arms log books you will find em for about 29 buck,s according to the atf i talked to on phone that is the 100% legal way to keep the record,s of ya buy,s.And w/e you decide to trade sell or giveaway.aquisitions for what ya buy .but i do not sell mine , so that part i will never use.They will go to my son or be sold all at once upon my death.I buy gun,s not sell them just me.I have had my c&r going on 9 yr,s now.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My C&R license came with a booklet for record keeping, I've just been using that as it already has the required columns on the pages.