Is This a C&R Pistol?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Is This a C&R Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Is This a C&R Pistol?

Is this Llama .38 Super a C&R pistol? I'm having trouble finding out.

llama.jpg  
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Sorry- 2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms shows your slide markings as "current production". Absent something like a bill of sale that is 50 yrs old or older, do not think so. Nor is it listed on the BATFE list(s) as a C&R.

Of course, CA does nt permit C&R handguns to be shipped to an 03 C&R holder IN California......

Is there a model number on the gun?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No, it just says .38 Super on the other side of the slide. I could go through a regular FFL, but that runs between $60. to $125. to do the transfer.

I have a CZ82 that's been rat holed and I was hoping to sell it to buy this. I guess it's out, I don't want any beef with the Feds. CA is tough enough.

I can hang with the CZ82. I've just had a hankering for a .38 Super ever since I shot Jo da plumber's Colt Commander in .38 Super.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #4

Call me stupid but what's "C&R"?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You're not stupid Pumpkin. C&R stands for Curio and Relic.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Pumpkin- there are several different classes of Federal Firearms Licenses in the US- 01 is a dealer, 02 is a pawnshop, and an 03 is a collector of Curio & Relic firearms. C&R is defined as a firearm that derives most of its value from its collectable status. They include firearms that are 50 yrs old, or older, and cetain newer guns on a list published by the BATFE, such as all Winchester Mdl 88s, All Colt Woodsman pistols, etc. License is $30 for 3 years.

Lets say I find a refined gentleman from the Pacific Northwest- I live in VA. He has an M1 carbine he wants to sell to pay his gambling debts. We come to an agrement on the price. I send him a photocopy of my FFL and payment. He puts carbine in mail to my door. Mailman delivers. I scurry around trying to hide rifle so I don't have to play the "What? This old thing?" game with Household 6 (wife). No dealer required.

Most fun you can have for $30 that will not require antibiotics to fix.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2375 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 682

I had one back in 1961. You would have to verify the age with a serial number or an old bill of sale. It was a pretty decent pistol as I recall. I dont remember any function problems but all I shot was factory hardball. Not much else available back then.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.