Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > C&R license

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #81
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1339 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

When you receive your C&R, shortly after that you will receive a packet that contains a copy of the regulation, and example of the documents that you need and a CD that will explain everything and a copy of the book that lists all weapons that are classified and "Curious and Relics". Mosin Nagants fall under the NFA for classification since they are considered antiques, if I am not mistaken. C&R's only cover weapons made prior to 1898. Having a C&R does not preclude you from going through the backgorund check. Only a Carry Consealed Permit will do that.

I hope that this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josan89 View Post
I'm going to start the paperwork today for my C&R license. But I have some questions. Did having this license will help you on back ground check and waiting period if you are buying a non-C&R gun in my LGS? Where can I see a sample of what the acquired-dispose log look like? Do the C&R classification of a gun is documented with the gun or that classification is an assumption from the seller? For example if I'm going to buy a Mosin Nagant from my LGS should I assume that the gun is a C&R or the seller may say the the gun is not classified and that the back ground check and waiting period apply? (In FL there is no waiting period for rifles but this is just an example)
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by TDS92A; 10-01-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #82
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8393 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

TDS- there is a lot of incorrect information in your post.

Curio and Relics are defined as in original configuration, and made 50 yrs or more ago, OR are on the published list from BATFE (ALL Colt Woodsman pistols, ALL Winchester Mdl 88s, etc)

Guns that were made prior to 1 Jan 1899 are under Federal law, not firearms- they are antiques, and exempt from the 1968 Gun Control Act. 91/30s are not antiques, but they ARE Curio and Relic.

NFA is the 1934 National Firearms Act which regulates short barreled rifles and shotguns, full autos, suppressors, AOWs, Destructive Devices, etc.

When I am purchasing a C&R firearm, there IS no form 4473, no background check. I sign a copy of my 03 FFL, give it to the dealer. He logs the gun out of his bound book as a transfer to my license. I log it into MY bound book as an acquistion from the dealer's FFL. I buy about 20 C&R firearms a year, have had a C&R 03 FFL since 1975. It does NOT change anything when buying a modern firearm- still need a 4473 and background check. Virginia does their own background, and a concealed license does not substitute for background check here. It does in some states.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-01-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I bow to such wisdom.

I think that I shall take my head out of my duffle bag next time.

Suffice it to say, any C&R or antique weapons that I buy have a slim chance of being sold or traded and I only buy maybe one or two a year. I guess that I should dig a little deeper into the material that I told the OP about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
TDS- there is a lot of incorrect information in your post.

Curio and Relics are defined as in original configuration, and made 50 yrs or more ago, OR are on the published list from BATFE (ALL Colt Woodsman pistols, ALL Winchester Mdl 88s, etc)

Guns that were made prior to 1 Jan 1899 are under Federal law, not firearms- they are antiques, and exempt from the 1968 Gun Control Act. 91/30s are not antiques, but they ARE Curio and Relic.

NFA is the 1934 National Firearms Act which regulates short barreled rifles and shotguns, full autos, suppressors, AOWs, Destructive Devices, etc.

When I am purchasing a C&R firearm, there IS no form 4473, no background check. I sign a copy of my 03 FFL, give it to the dealer. He logs the gun out of his bound book as a transfer to my license. I log it into MY bound book as an acquistion from the dealer's FFL. I buy about 20 C&R firearms a year, have had a C&R 03 FFL since 1975. It does NOT change anything when buying a modern firearm- still need a 4473 and background check. Virginia does their own background, and a concealed license does not substitute for background check here. It does in some states.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by TDS92A; 10-01-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #84
FTF_MODERATOR.png

No problem, bro. For some info (a little old, but good) visit cruffler.com

PS- I don't sell either. I buy. Have 1 entry in my "dispositions" side of the book- a damaged receiver that I destroyed by torch cutting. Got that one for the parts.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey, we all need to learn from those that has come before us.

I got my C&R simply because I am trying to build a collection of weapons that was used during the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and the Old West. Most of which fall under the C&R time periods (just speculating here), and of course you know how the C&R works with buying them online. So it is a time saver. But that is a topic for another thread.

Quote:
No problem, bro. For some info (a little old, but good) visit cruffler.com

PS- I don't sell either. I buy. Have 1 entry in my "dispositions" side of the book- a damaged receiver that I destroyed by torch cutting. Got that one for the parts.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #86
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Most of your time frame will actually fall into the antique category. C&R runs from 1899 to today's date in 1962.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is good to know!

Do you by chance have any leads for the weapons that I seek?

Quote:
Most of your time frame will actually fall into the antique category. C&R runs from 1899 to today's date in 1962.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #88

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great information. The paperwork is on the mail. I started a collection on World War firearms that maybe in not so good conditions but still functional. I'm interested in restoring the firearms maybe not to their old glory but at list to give them a second chance in life. I found it very interesting to restore this all war horses.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well if you would like some help in this area, hit me up in a PM and I will walk you through what I did and do to bring them back to life without disturbing their value. Perhaps you can pass on where you found those little gems at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josan89 View Post
Thanks for the great information. The paperwork is on the mail. I started a collection on World War firearms that maybe in not so good conditions but still functional. I'm interested in restoring the firearms maybe not to their old glory but at list to give them a second chance in life. I found it very interesting to restore this all war horses.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #90

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just to piggyback on the thread and avoid creating a new one...I got my C&R today. I submitted for it on a whim, figuring I'd use it at some point in the next three years and break even on transfer fees.

My card was charged on 9/25 and the C&R arrived on 10/9. Lightning fast!