Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   C&R eligable firearms and deer hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/c-r-eligable-firearms-deer-hunting-3451/)

Doug1627 02-25-2008 07:20 PM

C&R eligable firearms and deer hunting

Hello,

I am currently awaiting the application for my C&R license. Part of the reason for getting it is to hopefully get a good shooting deer rifle for less money. Next winter will be my first deer hunt. I am hoping to avoid spending upwards of 400$ for my first rifle. I have tried google for info but I did not come up with much. Hopefully someone here can help. Is there any "good shooting" deer rifles that qualify for the C&R purchase?

Thanks for your help.

Righteous 02-25-2008 11:54 PM

theres alot of them out there in some pretty big calibers to

ScottG 02-26-2008 12:44 PM

I don't hunt so I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a C&R, but many people seem to have no trouble using German Mausers, British Enfields, US '03s and '17s; even SKSs or AKs.

Most of them destroy the guns ie: cut up the stocks to lighten them, or just use the actions to build a new one. I personally wouldn't bother with C&R rifles for that purpose when you can buy a nice new or used package rifle from Savage for approximately the same price. Or get yourself a Winchester clone lever gun or a Marlin.

I just hate the fact that someone would destroy a historical gun by cutting it up just to hunt with when there are so many other options available. I'm a purist in that sense. The old milsurps should remain in their original configuration unless it's been damaged already or someone else has modified it. But it's your choice, an opinion on a board is just someone else's thoughts, you must make your own decision.:)

Doug1627 02-26-2008 02:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. ScottG thanks for listing some rifles, that helps me alot. I have been considering a savage package. gun+scope.

Doug1627 02-26-2008 05:47 PM

Stopped by 3 stores and did lots of comparing. I am going with a new rifle vs the C&R. I will have my Savage 111 with a scope in a couple of hours.:D

Doug1627 02-26-2008 07:27 PM

Maybe I will not have the Savage, I was "delayed" by the FBI check. Am I in trouble?

ScottG 02-27-2008 11:41 PM

I read that other thread about your delay. Sorry to hear it.

Like I said, it's probably better to go with something like the Savage. I bought my Savage package from a coworker whose bf had a dv complaint against him, so I picked it up for $200. I don't hunt and probably never will, but it's an evil scoped sniper rifle in the manly 30-06 :p so it can always find a use somewhere....:D

Doug1627 02-28-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottG (Post 17671)
I read that other thread about your delay. Sorry to hear it.

Like I said, it's probably better to go with something like the Savage. I bought my Savage package from a coworker whose bf had a dv complaint against him, so I picked it up for $200. I don't hunt and probably never will, but it's an evil scoped sniper rifle in the manly 30-06 :p so it can always find a use somewhere....:D

What model do you own? Do you have the accu trigger?

ScottG 02-29-2008 01:10 AM

No Doug, it's an older 110. No accutrigger when this one was made.

Doug1627 02-29-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottG (Post 17782)
No Doug, it's an older 110. No accutrigger when this one was made.

I got ya. :)