Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Building my own Arisaka Type 38/97?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Default Building my own Arisaka Type 38/97?

The last couple of times I went to the gunshow, I found a guy who had 2 Arisaka type 38 receivers with the trigger parts and they both still had the Mums!! Well it got me to thinking if the guy still had them and I could get them for the right price I would pick them up at the next show, and try to build my own Arisaka type 38, using parts or looking for beat/broken ones missing their mums. Then the other day I was thinking if I have two receivers and the numbers arent gonna match anyways, why not build one into a type 97 sniper?

So is it possible to build a replica type 97 using type 38 parts? Are there any major differences between the two?
From the little research ive done it looks to me a type 97 is just a type 38 with a scope..

Is there a reproduction scope and mount available, or at least something close/comparable?

I figure its the only way Ill have a Japanese sniper, and most the real ones are missing optics, have missing or mismatched parts and still command high dollar. As well I figure I can have it accurized a little bit and not ruin a historic rifle (just small things like making sure I have a nice barrel, bolt fits true, maybe some cork bedding. I still want it to look like its from WWII)
What do you guys think? Am I crazy and this is pointless?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7564 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Crazy? Nah, you have to go over to the politics thread to find crazy....

Main differences that I know of on these was a lighter stock, some had a monopod, internal trigger difference, and biggie- bent bolt handle so bolt did not whack scope.

As far as a source for parts................ Yeah, I got nothing. Sorry.

But some info and good pics for you-

Nambu World: Type 97 Sniper Rifle

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks C3 thats a great site! The type 97 does look to be a variation of the 38..
Looks to me the biggie is going to be finding some sorta scope.. Hmmm.....

Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #4

I'm trying to contact c3shooter, I registered today to do so. My email is Webphds@gmail.com.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

How do I attach a picture of a custom WWII Japanese Rifle..? I am very new. My email is Webphds@gmail.com I can get messages but I am stumbling on this forum.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7564 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Hi Jagerdad! Hey- some of have to WORK for a living- and we are not always here.

ReF Pictures- have it on your hard drive. When composing a new message, look at the toolbar ABOVE where you are typing, find the white smiley face. To the right of the smiley face is a paperclip. Click the clip, go to the pic on your hard drive, click open, then download, then close this, go back to the paperclip, click on the dropdown, click file name, click where you want the pic to go in your message. Sounds complicated, takes about 5 seconds.

You can also send a private message to anyone here by clicking on their name beside a post they made.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Parts for Japanese service rifles

couple diffrent parts supply sources.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=83

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=2

Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
The last couple of times I went to the gunshow, I found a guy who had 2 Arisaka type 38 receivers with the trigger parts and they both still had the Mums!! Well it got me to thinking if the guy still had them and I could get them for the right price I would pick them up at the next show, and try to build my own Arisaka type 38, using parts or looking for beat/broken ones missing their mums. Then the other day I was thinking if I have two receivers and the numbers arent gonna match anyways, why not build one into a type 97 sniper?

So is it possible to build a replica type 97 using type 38 parts? Are there any major differences between the two?
From the little research ive done it looks to me a type 97 is just a type 38 with a scope.. The bipod was just for pic,s i shoot it off sandbag,s.I have gotten to be able to put 5 in a half dollar sized group at 120 yard,s with this one and my personel handload,s.nice rifle ya got there .

Is there a reproduction scope and mount available, or at least something close/comparable?

I figure its the only way Ill have a Japanese sniper, and most the real ones are missing optics, have missing or mismatched parts and still command high dollar. As well I figure I can have it accurized a little bit and not ruin a historic rifle (just small things like making sure I have a nice barrel, bolt fits true, maybe some cork bedding. I still want it to look like its from WWII)
What do you guys think? Am I crazy and this is pointless?
you mean like this one?and accumounts make a great scout scope mount with an added rail you can choose to use a reg eye relief scope if you bend the bolts like i did.or just use a pistol or long eye releif scope all the jap snipers i have seen had the scopes mounted far in front much like a scout mount. i am waiting on the mount for this one , i made a modern hunter out of other only because the mum,s were removed allready.And most the other parts such as monopod an aa sights were missing.I have damn near 6 month,s work in this one.But boy she draw,s a crowd at range cant wait for the mount and scope not sure about repro jap scope but the mount is available from accumount,s for little under 100 buck,s.E bay has good deal,s on accumount scope,s and mount,s for all mil surp,s.

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-18-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
you mean like this one?and accumounts make a great scout scope mount with an added rail you can choose to use a reg eye relief scope if you bend the bolts like i did.or just use a pistol or long eye releif scope all the jap snipers i have seen had the scopes mounted far in front much like a scout mount. i am waiting on the mount for this one , i made a modern hunter out of other only because the mum,s were removed allready.And most the other parts such as monopod an aa sights were missing.I have damn near 6 month,s work in this one.But boy she draw,s a crowd at range cant wait for the mount and scope not sure about repro jap scope but the mount is available from accumount,s for little under 100 buck,s.E bay has good deal,s on accumount scope,s and mount,s for all mil surp,s.
Authentic Japanese sniper rifles dont have the scope in the front "like a scout rifle" They look like this..

Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Authentic Japanese sniper rifles dont have the scope in the front "like a scout rifle" They look like this..
well the mount is forward , and good luck on ever finding that scope . just trying to help a guy scope his rifle easily. I am no jap rifle expert, ive seen em mounted way up front as well could be diff model,s could be done on the spot in a cave knowing them nips back then as my uncle called em w/e worked for em i guess nice pic tho i learned something thanx. But i have the accu mount on one of mine and it does work well without destroying rifle.And gives you the option of useing it either in scout scope or add the extra rail and you can use any scope if you bend the bolt.but with the scout scope alone you have to do nothing and ya done, ready for range.Note the scount mount on rear sight and how other rail attaches to mount itself , i had a pistol scope on it at first to see how it worked, held zero perfectly ,but i wanted something for long range this is the sporter i built with a ground mum missing parts type 99,you add the optional other rail you can use any scope you want if you get the bolt bending jig from brownells and add the extra rail, but you can easily just use scout mount and pistol scope or ler scope on the other 1, i plan on just useing pistol scope i have to leave it more like a mil version on my other one in the other pics i restored in previuos post . The accumounts is best way to scope an arisaka easily all i was trying to say . either way hope it help,s someone who may have a thin wallet at times like i do but would like to scope an arisaka.mount was 89 bucks with shipping on accu site.Can find em on e bay as well.When we get older like i am we just can not see front post on some these old mil surps.long as it doesnt destroy the rifle and hold,s zero close enough for me .Again just trying to help not claim arisaka expert .nice pics tho thanx again.