Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Box of old 45-70 Ammunition (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/box-old-45-70-ammunition-31893/)

Dzscubie 09-18-2010 06:26 PM

Box of old 45-70 Ammunition

5 Attachment(s)
As most of you know last weekend I bought an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 at an estate sale. I was given a box of shells at the same time. Now I know that there are collectors out there for old ammunition in the box and to be honest I do not think I would be comfortable shooting these rounds. I could pull the bullets and reload the cases and use them, but this is a pretty old looking (donít know how to tell how old they really are) box of ammunition and I know there are people out there who collect them.

Any suggestions on which direction I need to go with this? Here are some pictures of the box of ammunition.

Questions?

Scubie

TXnorton 09-18-2010 07:12 PM

Scubie:

Try this web-site, maybe they would be interested. But do not shoot or destroy that old ammo, someone will want it for collectors value!

Collectible Antique and Obsolete Ammunition in Original Boxes

crazycharlie2 09-18-2010 07:33 PM

I would carefully wrap the box,ammo and all, with plastic wrap or some suitable barrier to protect them and keep them with the rifle as part of the collection.

canebrake 09-18-2010 08:15 PM

Send David Call an email with the photos and ask him if he wants them.

David is the owner of AMMO-ONE.com and deals in a lot of collectible and hard to find stuff.

Or call......wait for it.............Call at 207-642-7980. (I had to do it!)

He's up in Standish, Maine.

jpattersonnh 09-18-2010 08:22 PM

If you can make some $ selling them, then more power to you. I shoot ammo from the 1920's and it always goes Bang. Wow I checked the sight listed. Some paper shot shells I've been using and have had for 30 years are going for $65.00 a box. I gotta say, they shoot much better than any plastic hull shot shells.

30-30remchester 09-19-2010 12:32 AM

I am a cartridge collector and will use this post to advise others. This ammo is made @1900 to @1920. All old ammo has some collectors value. A few no-no's about antique ammo. NEVER EVER polish or clean ammo. The collector that buys it will severely reduce the price if it has been cleaned. Let the collector do all repairs and cleaning, they know what they are doing. Never use any tape on the boxes. Next older ammo is fragile. To pull the bullets and use the cases will be desasterous. Many of these old cases will fail after the first shot. When in doubt simply turn the ammo for some modern stuff.

Dzscubie 09-19-2010 12:47 AM

Thanks 30-30, I haven't touched the rounds except to remove the couple I took photos of. I have the box sealed in a zip lock bag right now, I live in El Paso, Texas so I think the dry air will help. The box is missing one round so I have 19 of 20.

Again thanks for the help.

Cane, I sent David an email and pictures. Thanks for the contact.

Scubie

CA357 09-19-2010 01:12 AM

I love that old stuff. Nice score Scubie.

Glasshartt 09-19-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 352961)
Send David Call an email with the photos and ask him if he wants them.

David is the owner of AMMO-ONE.com and deals in a lot of collectible and hard to find stuff.

Or call......wait for it.............Call at 207-642-7980. (I had to do it!)

He's up in Standish, Maine.

Cane, I may have to do the calling for Scubie. I don't know that he can understand Yankee.