Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Bound Book

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bound Book

How soon do I need to start my Bound Book? Now or when I make my first purchase? Ive already recived my C&R. Also do C&R's I already own previously like my Norinco 213 have to be listed in this book? From what I am reading this book is a record of any acquisitions and dispositions after reciving my license.
If so then
If I would sell my Norinco 213 would it be recoreded as a disposition even though I owned it before getting a C&R
(muddy waters for me still)
And lastly must the book be bound or can it be loose leaf or electronic and if it must be bound can it be any type of generic log book from office depot or is it a special type of book you must purchase

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
How soon do I need to start my Bound Book? Now or when I make my first purchase? Ive already recived my C&R. Also do C&R's I already own previously like my Norinco 213 have to be listed in this book? From what I am reading this book is a record of any acquisitions and dispositions after reciving my license.
If so then
If I would sell my Norinco 213 would it be recoreded as a disposition even though I owned it before getting a C&R
(muddy waters for me still)
And lastly must the book be bound or can it be loose leaf or electronic and if it must be bound can it be any type of generic log book from office depot or is it a special type of book you must purchase
I, like most I would assume, keep the book no matter what. I dont have a C&R yet, but when I do, every firearm I have will be documented and kept record of. Just my opinion.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #3

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I would say to contact BATF for the answers you are seeking, I know some don't trust them but they most times are will to help answer them tough questions

Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Woody, you only need to keep records of firearms you purchase using your C&R license. It doesn't matter if the gun is on the list, only that you used your 03 to purchase it. Then when you dispose of that item, you need to post that in your bound book. There is no "bound book" that must be purchased from any agency or other person. All you need is to keep the information you are required to keep. Just create your own using your favorite spreadsheet application and print it out. You need to have a paper copy, but you only need to show it if they ask you. I keep mine on the computer and can print it out if I need to. No one has ever asked to see mine. I have all the information in a folder so if the computer crashes I can make a bound book by hand. No need to overthink it, or let it make your hair gray. That's what kids are for.....

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Gotcha
Thanx

Old 07-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Woody, you only need to keep records of firearms you purchase using your C&R license. It doesn't matter if the gun is on the list, only that you used your 03 to purchase it. Then when you dispose of that item, you need to post that in your bound book. There is no "bound book" that must be purchased from any agency or other person. All you need is to keep the information you are required to keep. Just create your own using your favorite spreadsheet application and print it out. You need to have a paper copy, but you only need to show it if they ask you. I keep mine on the computer and can print it out if I need to. No one has ever asked to see mine. I have all the information in a folder so if the computer crashes I can make a bound book by hand. No need to overthink it, or let it make your hair gray. That's what kids are for.....
Please verify this with BATF.

In my work, our inspectors are required to use bound notebook to log their dailies since it will show if any page is removed or tampered with. It holds much more credibility in court than loose sheets of paper. Whether the same applies to your C&R, I am not sure.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Please verify this with BATF.

In my work, our inspectors are required to use bound notebook to log their dailies since it will show if any page is removed or tampered with. It holds much more credibility in court than loose sheets of paper. Whether the same applies to your C&R, I am not sure.
Very good advice .. I have had my 03 C&R for over 12 years now and have always used the BATF "approved" version of the records keeping bound book. You get this from the BATF for free so why not use it to keep yourself legal all around. Brownells sells something very similar. The BATF also has a computerized version you can download or get for free.

My advice, use the right book and keep good solid records.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have had my license for years and am still amazed of the license holders that dont know the answers to the most basic questions.
I suggest you read the packet that was sent before you received you license.
#1 C&R firearms that you owned before you got your license and not logged in. Thet are logged out if you were to sell them.
#2 All C&R firearms are to be logged in if they were purchased while you had your license even if you did not use your license to obtain them.
#3 You do not have to use a bound book. Loose leaf binder etc is fine

Old 07-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
I have had my license for years and am still amazed of the license holders that dont know the answers to the most basic questions.
I suggest you read the packet that was sent before you received you license.
#1 C&R firearms that you owned before you got your license and not logged in. Thet are logged out if you were to sell them.
#2 All C&R firearms are to be logged in if they were purchased while you had your license even if you did not use your license to obtain them.
#3 You do not have to use a bound book. Loose leaf binder etc is fine
Orlando
I've had my license a few weeks and I'm still amazed at how some think that since they know the answers to basic questions they are experts
Thanx for the answers but you can keep the attitude

Old 07-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Woody
I give you no attitude
Have you even opened your packet and looked for answers?
Are you relying on what someone on the internet tells you??
My suggestion is to read , its you butt if you take someones wrong advice.
You will always have some questions and may need to ask but what you are asking are very basic
If you dont take the time to research answers yourself you shouldnt have the license.
Sorry but thats my opinion, good luck