Bore Cleaning My Mosins?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Bore Cleaning My Mosins?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bore Cleaning My Mosins?

Picked up 2 Mosins 91/30s a few weeks ago. Both are Tulas 1934 hex receivers and my first mil surplus rifles. The bores on these rifles just keep pouring out gunk. My procedure is to wet patch, sit 20/30min, brush and the dry patch. I've been doing this a few times a night for 3 weeks now. Tried a number of different products: Hoppes 9, Birchwood Bore Scrubber, Shooters Choice, Break Free, WD-40, PB Blast, and good ole hot soap and water. Will these bores every come completely clean or is it enough already?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #2

They will come clean. I use a compound called "Sweets 7.62 bore solvent" for the tough ones. Follow the directions. Get a couple of (New) good quality brushes. Good Luck

HH54r

Fear knocked, Faith answered. No one was there.
NRA Member
Georgia Carry Member
American Gunsmithing Institute Member

Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Liked 195 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I got mine clean (I thought) with regular cleaners. Then I tried Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. It released the dirt the others would did not. Shoot it in and let it set for 30 minutes or more. Stir it up with a brass brush, then a patch. It can be rinsed out with automotive brake parts cleaner. Repeat as needed. If it comes out black, it is powder residue. Blue/green indicates it is taking out copper.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 461

I have found that mineral spirits works to break down all the cosmoline packed into the bore. Hot water is fine but it needs to melt the cosmoline first before it can be removed, mineral spirits on the other hand is a solvent and will work at room temp. For best results unmount the barrel and receiver, plug the muzzle and fill the barrel. After sitting for 10-15 minutes unplug muzzle and drain out the gunk. Follow up with a swab and more mineral spirits. Then clean with hot soapy water followed by Hoppes or other cleaner.

Future cleaning should be with hot soapy water to remove primer salts, then normal cleaning with Hoppes or product of your own choosing.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #5

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

The cheapest thing to cut cosmoline is boiling water, just pour it down the bore from the receiver end. Mineral spirits work great for the smaller parts that you can soak.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips. Got all the cosmo out. Mineral spirits works well. I'll keep at it. Gonna try some foamer and bore bright next.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1977

I had a Garand which was giving me fits.

Used every professional gun solvent I could get, long,

hard and repeatedly.

Then I got wise. Try Brown Vinegar, then run some patches.

Then run the Mineral Spirits again.

I spanked that dirty barrel in minutes...

Old 05-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #8

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I also used a .38 patched brush on mine. As many of us know, the mosin isn't quite a .308. The .38 provided a good tight fit for pulling that crud out.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #9

Thanks for the tip. I never knew there was a difference. Just looked it up. I'm glad i bought some surplus spam cans for fun. I assume they're the correct diameter, always thought 7.62 was 7.62. Got 2 mosins that I purchased over the last few months 91/30s. These rifles are completely different in dimensions, except for the barrel. They're both
1934s hexs from the Tula arsenal. I guess that's why the Russians stamped everything.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #10

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Most mosins seem to be .310-.312 bore diameter. The .38 brush is way too large, but because it's bristles are flexible...

Just don't reverse direction. I don't think your supposed to do that with ANY brush.