Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Bore Cleaning My Mosins? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/bore-cleaning-my-mosins-63108/)

kreecher 04-23-2012 03:29 PM

Bore Cleaning My Mosins?

Picked up 2 Mosins 91/30s a few weeks ago. Both are Tulas 1934 hex receivers and my first mil surplus rifles. The bores on these rifles just keep pouring out gunk. My procedure is to wet patch, sit 20/30min, brush and the dry patch. I've been doing this a few times a night for 3 weeks now. Tried a number of different products: Hoppes 9, Birchwood Bore Scrubber, Shooters Choice, Break Free, WD-40, PB Blast, and good ole hot soap and water. Will these bores every come completely clean or is it enough already?

HH54r 04-30-2012 03:03 PM

They will come clean. I use a compound called "Sweets 7.62 bore solvent" for the tough ones. Follow the directions. Get a couple of (New) good quality brushes. Good Luck

HH54r

JWagner 04-30-2012 04:31 PM

I got mine clean (I thought) with regular cleaners. Then I tried Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. It released the dirt the others would did not. Shoot it in and let it set for 30 minutes or more. Stir it up with a brass brush, then a patch. It can be rinsed out with automotive brake parts cleaner. Repeat as needed. If it comes out black, it is powder residue. Blue/green indicates it is taking out copper.

Jpyle 04-30-2012 04:40 PM

I have found that mineral spirits works to break down all the cosmoline packed into the bore. Hot water is fine but it needs to melt the cosmoline first before it can be removed, mineral spirits on the other hand is a solvent and will work at room temp. For best results unmount the barrel and receiver, plug the muzzle and fill the barrel. After sitting for 10-15 minutes unplug muzzle and drain out the gunk. Follow up with a swab and more mineral spirits. Then clean with hot soapy water followed by Hoppes or other cleaner.

Future cleaning should be with hot soapy water to remove primer salts, then normal cleaning with Hoppes or product of your own choosing.

jpattersonnh 04-30-2012 09:43 PM

The cheapest thing to cut cosmoline is boiling water, just pour it down the bore from the receiver end. Mineral spirits work great for the smaller parts that you can soak.

kreecher 05-01-2012 06:41 PM

Thanks for the tips. Got all the cosmo out. Mineral spirits works well. I'll keep at it. Gonna try some foamer and bore bright next.

therewolf 05-07-2012 04:09 PM

I had a Garand which was giving me fits.

Used every professional gun solvent I could get, long,

hard and repeatedly.

Then I got wise. Try Brown Vinegar, then run some patches.

Then run the Mineral Spirits again.

I spanked that dirty barrel in minutes...

trip286 05-07-2012 04:13 PM

I also used a .38 patched brush on mine. As many of us know, the mosin isn't quite a .308. The .38 provided a good tight fit for pulling that crud out.

kreecher 05-09-2012 01:02 AM

Thanks for the tip. I never knew there was a difference. Just looked it up. I'm glad i bought some surplus spam cans for fun. I assume they're the correct diameter, always thought 7.62 was 7.62. Got 2 mosins that I purchased over the last few months 91/30s. These rifles are completely different in dimensions, except for the barrel. They're both
1934s hexs from the Tula arsenal. I guess that's why the Russians stamped everything.

trip286 05-09-2012 01:19 AM

Most mosins seem to be .310-.312 bore diameter. The .38 brush is way too large, but because it's bristles are flexible...

Just don't reverse direction. I don't think your supposed to do that with ANY brush.