Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Black Powder .32 H&R ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Black Powder .32 H&R ammo

Does anyone know where one can buy a couple of boxes of .32 S&W ammo for a H&R .32 model 1895 top break??

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense."

-John Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #2

Liked 261 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

your best bet would be to reload your own, i don't think anyone commercially loads them in black powder now.

.32 S&W never was a very powerful round, even the modern ammo only runs about 700 fps & a little less than 100 lb ft. of energy at the muzzle, which can't be any higher than the black powder rounds were. if your firearm is in good condition, you MAY be able to safely fire the smokless stuff. of course i am not a balistics engineer or firearm designer so take my advice at face value

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

32 H&R is a little more powerful than 32 S&W. I'd be extremely careful if you decide to use full powered modern ammo in it. You best bet would be reloading as previously stated. Plus, regular 32 H&R is expensive. It cost around $30 per 50 rd box around here, if you can even find it. I had to look 60 miles away to even find some, and even then the choices were extremely limited. Black powder loads would probably be extremely hard to find.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

I am sorry...I was in a hurry and not clear. The revolver is a H&R .32 top break manufactured in 1895 and chambered for .32 S&W shorts in black powder. The revolver is in excellent condition but I will not fire modern ammo through it and have no reloading skills, experience or gear.

What I would like to find is a source for a couple of boxes of .32S&W shorts loaded for black powder so as to let me at least shoot the thing a bit.

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense."

-John Adams

Old 05-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I can not find any. I would suggest if you have a local company that sells reloads(try at local gun shows and local gun shops) ask them to load some bp loads for you.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I buy these and restore them, and have had many of them over the years and all I ever shoot in them is Remmington 32 S&W 88 gr.lead RN. I just shot 5 rounds two days ago. These are more accurate than they claim to be. I've read the suicde articles on these guns and as long as my gun looks in good shape and locks up good , I shoot it. I've seen pictures of new guns that blew up.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMV View Post
I am sorry...I was in a hurry and not clear. The revolver is a H&R .32 top break manufactured in 1895 and chambered for .32 S&W shorts in black powder. The revolver is in excellent condition but I will not fire modern ammo through it and have no reloading skills, experience or gear.

What I would like to find is a source for a couple of boxes of .32S&W shorts loaded for black powder so as to let me at least shoot the thing a bit.
That clears thing up a bit. There is a lot of ammo that fits into the .32 range.

.32 S&W Shorts are even harder to find. At least they are around here. I highly suggest either rolling your own, or finding someone who reloads and have them make some for you. Just make sure to load them light.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygoogle View Post
I buy these and restore them, and have had many of them over the years and all I ever shoot in them is Remmington 32 S&W 88 gr.lead RN. I just shot 5 rounds two days ago. These are more accurate than they claim to be. I've read the suicde articles on these guns and as long as my gun looks in good shape and locks up good , I shoot it. I've seen pictures of new guns that blew up.
This is the revolver

[IMG][/IMG]

-John Adams

Old 05-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #9

Liked 822 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMV View Post
This is the revolver

[IMG][/IMG]
That pistol was built in the 1940`s or 50`s...........What is the serial # ?
Pretty sure that is a modern ammunition pistol.

When all else fails.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I was looking at some of those today. Were some of them DAO. They want to make me a deal on 4 of them cuz their gunsmiths won't touch them and they don't want to look at them anymore. They all need work and will test my skills as a novice gunsmith but will be great winter projects. Any idea on some values?