Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Black Powder .32 H&R ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/black-powder-32-h-r-ammo-64673/)

JIMV 05-17-2012 08:34 PM

Black Powder .32 H&R ammo

Does anyone know where one can buy a couple of boxes of .32 S&W ammo for a H&R .32 model 1895 top break??

donthav1 05-18-2012 01:28 AM

your best bet would be to reload your own, i don't think anyone commercially loads them in black powder now.

.32 S&W never was a very powerful round, even the modern ammo only runs about 700 fps & a little less than 100 lb ft. of energy at the muzzle, which can't be any higher than the black powder rounds were. if your firearm is in good condition, you MAY be able to safely fire the smokless stuff. of course i am not a balistics engineer or firearm designer so take my advice at face value

texaswoodworker 05-18-2012 03:13 AM

32 H&R is a little more powerful than 32 S&W. I'd be extremely careful if you decide to use full powered modern ammo in it. You best bet would be reloading as previously stated. Plus, regular 32 H&R is expensive. It cost around $30 per 50 rd box around here, if you can even find it. I had to look 60 miles away to even find some, and even then the choices were extremely limited. Black powder loads would probably be extremely hard to find.

JIMV 05-18-2012 04:18 PM

I am sorry...I was in a hurry and not clear. The revolver is a H&R .32 top break manufactured in 1895 and chambered for .32 S&W shorts in black powder. The revolver is in excellent condition but I will not fire modern ammo through it and have no reloading skills, experience or gear.

What I would like to find is a source for a couple of boxes of .32S&W shorts loaded for black powder so as to let me at least shoot the thing a bit.

hiwall 05-18-2012 04:55 PM

I can not find any. I would suggest if you have a local company that sells reloads(try at local gun shows and local gun shops) ask them to load some bp loads for you.

barneygoogle 05-18-2012 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I buy these and restore them, and have had many of them over the years and all I ever shoot in them is Remmington 32 S&W 88 gr.lead RN. I just shot 5 rounds two days ago. These are more accurate than they claim to be. I've read the suicde articles on these guns and as long as my gun looks in good shape and locks up good , I shoot it. I've seen pictures of new guns that blew up.

texaswoodworker 05-18-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMV (Post 806653)
I am sorry...I was in a hurry and not clear. The revolver is a H&R .32 top break manufactured in 1895 and chambered for .32 S&W shorts in black powder. The revolver is in excellent condition but I will not fire modern ammo through it and have no reloading skills, experience or gear.

What I would like to find is a source for a couple of boxes of .32S&W shorts loaded for black powder so as to let me at least shoot the thing a bit.

That clears thing up a bit. There is a lot of ammo that fits into the .32 range.

.32 S&W Shorts are even harder to find. At least they are around here. I highly suggest either rolling your own, or finding someone who reloads and have them make some for you. Just make sure to load them light.

JIMV 05-19-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barneygoogle (Post 806712)
I buy these and restore them, and have had many of them over the years and all I ever shoot in them is Remmington 32 S&W 88 gr.lead RN. I just shot 5 rounds two days ago. These are more accurate than they claim to be. I've read the suicde articles on these guns and as long as my gun looks in good shape and locks up good , I shoot it. I've seen pictures of new guns that blew up.

This is the revolver

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/P1010148.jpg[/IMG]

303tom 05-19-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMV (Post 807125)

That pistol was built in the 1940`s or 50`s...........What is the serial # ?
Pretty sure that is a modern ammunition pistol.

srtolly1 05-19-2012 01:08 AM

I was looking at some of those today. Were some of them DAO. They want to make me a deal on 4 of them cuz their gunsmiths won't touch them and they don't want to look at them anymore. They all need work and will test my skills as a novice gunsmith but will be great winter projects. Any idea on some values?