Best WWII Sniper Rifle is... - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Best WWII Sniper Rifle is...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,372
Liked 3308 Times on 1878 Posts
Likes Given: 2384

Default

JMHO, but for rifle quality, optics, and ammo, I would have thought the

Mauser,(which Springfield paid royalties to for copyright infringements)

with a good German scope.

Now, as to which rifle killed more enemies, in it's capacity

as a sniper rifle,
- the Mosin Nagant.

But the word "best" is somewhat arbitrary, and undefined.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mag318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 417
Liked 86 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

My vote would be for the Enfield No4 Mk1T followed by the K98k LSR. The Springfield though an accurate rifle was held back by the rimfire optic it was issued with. I thing the Mosin was successful only because of the huge numbers that were deployed.
no4t0020.jpg   polish-m44-002.jpg  
mag318 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,304
Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 918

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
My vote would be for the Enfield No4 Mk1T followed by the K98k LSR. The Springfield though an accurate rifle was held back by the rimfire optic it was issued with. I thing the Mosin was successful only because of the huge numbers that were deployed.
Not sure how the long side rail is better as there is still flex compared w/ the low or high turret mounts. There is a very small pin that lock any side rail mount. That was there weak spot. BTW, the difference between a low turret and high turret is less then 1/8" in height. Claw mounts, single and double are awesome, but were expensive to produce. Think about it, Germans had single claw, double claw, SSR, LSR, Low Turret, High Turret, and used captured PEM side mounts. The Germans made all the advancements we still see today.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Just found this thread and joined the forum so I could reply...

Seems like I've read through dozens of threads about the Best Sniper Rifle of WW2, and it always surprises me how little respect there is for the M-1 Garand. Yes, I know, it ain't a bolt action, it ain't european, etc. Well, set aside conventional wisdom for a moment and consider the opinions of the snipers who actually used them.

The attached article is based on interviews of snipers from the U.S. 79 Infantry Division in early 1945, and appeared in the Division's newspaper during June of that year. Says it all, IMO (except for the comment about the carbine).
File Type: pdf Sniper Article.pdf (20.8 KB, 67 views)
OverDraught is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,304
Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 918

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDraught View Post
Just found this thread and joined the forum so I could reply...

Seems like I've read through dozens of threads about the Best Sniper Rifle of WW2, and it always surprises me how little respect there is for the M-1 Garand. Yes, I know, it ain't a bolt action, it ain't european, etc. Well, set aside conventional wisdom for a moment and consider the opinions of the snipers who actually used them.

The attached article is based on interviews of snipers from the U.S. 79 Infantry Division in early 1945, and appeared in the Division's newspaper during June of that year. Says it all, IMO (except for the comment about the carbine).
The problem w/ the link is that was only looked at from one perspective. Now the M1 Garand was a force to be recond with in Korea, after optics had improve in the U.S.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hairbear1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Molong,NSW Australia
Posts: 845
Liked 683 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

During WW1 the British were actually interested in purchasing telescopic sights from the Germans in exchange for rubber for the Germans so that the Germans could put tyres on their field guns and transport vehicles but after some very careful consideration the British decided that it wouldn't be real smart to let British rubber used on German field pieces be used to help kill their own troops so the deal that was going to be done through another country was scrapped,regards
__________________
The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence
hairbear1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chainfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,917
Liked 1760 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Default

The Mosin-Nagant series probably put more Germans (and Russians) to bed than any other, because so many were deployed. As far as quality, the Springfield was far better and I also believe the .06 was better than the X54.

And this from a Mosin-Nagant certified nut.
__________________
"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan
Chainfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
performer21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I would have to say the nagant is far superior. i own both a springfeild and nagant that were both used as sniper rifles in ww11. the answer to why the nagant is superior is simple. the nagants that were issued as snipers were diferent the were the best nagants and most acurate easly as acurate as the springfeild. and with that long barrel it could easly be accurate at a thousand yards. giving it the reach and acuracy at distance that the springfeild couldn't match. so even though the springfeild was supperior as a rifle when matched up against those nagants designated for sniper use they are no match.
__________________
Sometimes what looks like junk is just junk.
performer21 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,710
Liked 1834 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 1977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by performer21 View Post
I would have to say the nagant is far superior. i own both a springfeild and nagant that were both used as sniper rifles in ww11. the answer to why the nagant is superior is simple. the nagants that were issued as snipers were diferent the were the best nagants and most acurate easly as acurate as the springfeild. and with that long barrel it could easly be accurate at a thousand yards. giving it the reach and acuracy at distance that the springfeild couldn't match. so even though the springfeild was supperior as a rifle when matched up against those nagants designated for sniper use they are no match.
Really...............
__________________
When all else fails.
303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,372
Liked 3308 Times on 1878 Posts
Likes Given: 2384

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Really...............
Oh, yeah, for one thing, the Springfield, through the WWII timeframe hadn't

been formally matched to a really good, dependable scope, for use in

mass numbers.

Compare a standard '03 to a standard 91/30, with iron sights, yes, the

Springfield comes out on top.

But if you remain in the period questioned, before the A304, (which still

had a crappy scope) the specific Mosin sniper rifle selection process,

and combination of bolt and well-made, if simple scope, made it a

better choice, IMO, as a premier sniper rifle of WWII...

Don't believe the cold-war "all things Russian are bad" dogma they

spoon-fed you in school. If Russia's army and weather hadn't consumed

75 entire Nazi Divisions, we could have lost WWII.

Last edited by therewolf; 09-06-2012 at 05:27 PM.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sniper Rifle Project cappaletti General Rifle Discussion 18 09-30-2011 11:06 PM
WWII Sniper Honored dnthmn2004 The Club House 1 03-10-2011 04:34 PM
84 year old Sniper from WWII hanging with the Young guns. cpttango30 The Club House 7 03-03-2011 03:37 AM
deer/sniper rifle nikotromus11 General Rifle Discussion 2 10-09-2010 08:19 PM
So you want a sniper rifle? try this one opaww General Rifle Discussion 25 06-22-2010 11:34 PM