Berdan primer removal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Berdan primer removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Berdan primer removal

Saw an interesting video on youtube. The guy posting it is iraqvet8888. Shows how he removes berdan primers using a Lee decapping die (universal) and water. A little messy perhaps but he gets it done. Watch the vid this guy is very knowledgable. Never reloader ammo that was berdaned primed. Anyone here ever reload for this type?

100_1992.jpg  

Springfield 1911: Like American express, Don't leave home without it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

There is actually a deprimer tool for berdan primers but typically it's such a pain no one even bothers.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Unless it's some caliber that is so obscure and unobtainable any other way, why bother?
Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean it's worth the trouble.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-19-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Berdan primed brass cases are not only harder to reload, but they do not lend themselves to reuse due to their design.

The Berdan primer requires the brass case to provide the anvil for the ignition of the primer.

Each new Boxer primer includes a fresh anvil as part of the primer.

With each ignition cycle, the anvil (in both primers) is at the center of ignition and deteriorates from this action. Boxer primers replace the anvil with each reload. Berdan primers depend on the brass case's anvil to ignite the new primer.

If reloading surplus ammo (Berdan primed ammo) I recommend you go with aftermarket brass designed for Boxer primers.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6019 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 431

ive never seen berdan primers offered for sale. its common in a lot of european countries where reloading is highly discouraged

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

unlike boxer primers that are only in two sizes, berdan come in many sizes. Another point against them.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #7

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Just finding berdan primers is a pita. Wolf makes them, and they are imported a few times a year by some companies. Just not worth the time. I wish I could reload my surplus 7.5x55 brass. You can still save your berdan brass and take it to the scrap yard. Brass is at 1.65 a pound, that is an hour at the range. I shoot the power lines near my house. We pick up lots of brass. None that I would shoot, but we can usually get about 5lb w/ 3 shooting sessions w/ my 2 sons. We take it down when we have a 5 gallon bucket full, about once a year and I use the money to buy new brass to reload. That is about 65lb of scrap.
2 years ago w/ the $ I got from scrap brass, my own and brass left in public places I bought 100 pieces of 6.5x55 Winchester, 60 pieces of Norma 7.5x55, 40 pieces of Norma 6.5x55, 100 Pieces of .44-40, plus powder, primers. It breaks down to $150.00 in new cases for 0 $.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I shoot the power lines near my house. .
You WHAT???

(lol)

Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #9

I've reloaded Berdans on and off for years. Unfortunately my supply of primers is getting low and, as mentioned earlier, they're getting harder to find.
The Berdan extracting tool works quite well if you get it adjusted right. It's just a pain to get it right. As for the hydraulic (water) method, I've never been able to get anything except wet when trying it. (It's also real easy to deform the case mouth in the process.)

One other thing to remember.... If you manage to get the primer out and have some berdans to insert, be sure to remove the primer pin from your expanding die before sizing the case.... ( Don't ask me how I know this..)

Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Dead- now and again, I find a Berdan primed 9mm case the hard way. Good reason to keep a supply of spare decapping pins on hand.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.