The Battle Rifles That Won WWII - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > The Battle Rifles That Won WWII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 719 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
I will just put this right here. The M1 was number 4 on the list
Is that why Enfields are $200 and 1903's/M1's are $600 to $1,000?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #42

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
i collect the us military ww2 only:
Great info, not really pertinent to the OP.

The *main* *battle* *rifles* issued during WWII to Allied Forces were:

Lee-Enfield
Mosin-Nagan
M1 Garand

Maybe putting words in color will help?

LUBrowningBoy Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #43

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Don't forget the 1903 Springfield. When the US first joined the war, M1s were short in supply, and the marines were issued the 1903 when they attacked Guadalcanal.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #44

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Canada still issues the No4 rifle to it's Army Rangers. Enough said. When did the M1 end service 30-40 years ago?
The M1 lives on in its improved version, the M1A....

Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by seibert1903 View Post
Don't forget the 1903 Springfield. When the US first joined the war, M1s were short in supply, and the marines were issued the 1903 when they attacked Guadalcanal.
The 1903 was issued to Marines until they were replaced by the M1. The M1 Garand was the main battle rifle issued during WWII to all US forces, unless an officer insisted on keeping his 1903, which did happen from time to time.

But it would be incorrect to say that the 1903 was the MAIN battle rifle issued to US forces during WWII.

There, maybe that will help.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
The M1 lives on in its improved version, the M1A....
Or this rifle.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #47

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Is that why Enfields are $200 and 1903's/M1's are $600 to $1,000?
No, that is because America is a huge market for it's own firearms. Although the Garand was designed by a Canadian...and the 1903 by a German

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I think you missed the point of his post. There is no question that the Garand was the finest weapon available to a soldier in WWII. If you listed the rifles in order of importance, not quality, the Mosin would be at the top.

If the three rifles in the OP were in a movie, the Mosin would be the star and the Enfield and Garand would be listed as "also appeared."

Contrary to what American history books teach you, WWII was mainly fought between the Soviets and Germans. Our main participation was our industrial production. That is not to take away from our soldier's participation, their bravery, or their honor, or their fighting ability, it is just that the war was to be won or lost in Eastern Europe.
I think the American, British, Australian and Japanese in the Pacific might disagree with you.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #49

Liked 367 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The .303 Enfield has a better rate of fire than the other 2 mentioned and could function in mud,rain,dust.

A 10 shot mag added to this as you could put down a better rate of fire from 2 blokes.

Case in point during WW1 the Germans mounted a concentrated attack against a British position that was manned by 10 soldiers with SMLE's.
The attack failed miserably and the German General was captured and as he was being interrogated he asked where was the machine guns as their information was that there was none in the immeadiate area to which the interrogating officer said that it was just 10 men with SMLE's that held the position.
Such was the rate of fire that it was like a machine gun position was in place.

The SMLE was also a very accurate bit of gear as well. When the Diggers were fighting in the islands around New Guinea the small bands of guerillas were getting very troublesome for the Japs so they sent in the "Lion of Singapore" to root out these guerilla bands. This meant the Japs had to redivert valuable troops to the area from other theatres where they were really needed.
The "Lion of Singapore" stepped off the plane and was shot by an Aussie digger at approximately 300yds with a SMLE/Jungle Carbine.

I think a lot of people underestimated the .303 and it's capabilities on the battlefield,it had a 10 shot mag,it had a 2000yd battle sight,accurate enough out to 300yds for the ordinary soldier,a very good rate of fire in the hands of a good soldier,it was rugged and reliable,you could interchange ammo from the Bren Gun and the Vickers MG.

The Garand was also a good battle field rifle as well but the 8 shot mag limited it and you couldn't reload mid mag something that cost a few lives till the troops worked out that by carrying an empty clip and dropping it on the ground the Japs or Germans would think the gun was empty and walked into a very nasty surprise.

The Moisin Nagant was like most Russian gear, ugly but purpose built and functional as many Germans found out and it was a good sniper's rifle as well and it was well suited to Russia's cold Winters where the German gear built to tight tolerances would freeze up but the Moisins were a little bit more generous in their tolerances.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Although the Garand was designed by a Canadian...and the 1903 by a German
In point of fact, John Garand came to this country as a young boy, and became a naturalized US citizen, in 1920, before he "invented" the M1 Garand. He was a devoted citizen, fiercely loyal, who gave absolutely selflessly to this country when he easily could have made a boat load of money from his designs. He even refused a cash award he received when honored for his invention and had it donated to support the widows of veterans. He never accepted anything other than his modest Civil Service salary and signed all his patents over the U.S. government.

John Garand was a true American hero.

Last edited by Amsdorf; 02-02-2013 at 11:12 PM.