Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   The Battle Rifles That Won WWII (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/battle-rifles-won-wwii-82547/)

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 12:54 AM

The Battle Rifles That Won WWII

In the hands of brave men fighting against the Axis powers, these battles rifles were used to win World War II:

The Lee-Enfield
The Mosin-Nagant
The M1 Garand

I put this video together to give folks an overview of these rifles, a closer look at them, if you will.

Do you have these rifles, or any of them, and what do you think of them?

sputnik1988 01-27-2013 01:09 AM

Have all three, love them all from a historical standpoint.

As far as the rifles themselves, the Garand is my favorite, very closely followed by the No.4 Mk1 Enfield.

The Mosin is a good rifle and I love the history, but they just dont impress me as a shooter.

DFlynt 01-27-2013 02:15 AM

I'm curious what did the Free French, Dutch, Belgian and other national Forces carry after the fall of their various countries?

dog2000tj 01-27-2013 06:17 AM

I have shot an M1 Garand and would like to have one of my own someday :)

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFlynt (Post 1111670)
I'm curious what did the Free French, Dutch, Belgian and other national Forces carry after the fall of their various countries?

They were equipped with whatever they could get their hands on, literally. Capture weapons from dead Germans, or captured arms from German supply depots. They were equipped with M1 Garands, the Dutch particularly were given Garands, etc. I'm sure other forces were supplied with the Lee-Enfield, those more expert than I can speak to the British arms given to the free forces.

For that matter, the Lee-Enfield in the video was manufactured here in the USA during WWII by the Savage corporation, as part of the American "lend lease" program, for lack of better way to explain it simply. The rifle has "US Property" stamped on it, but were shipped directly over to equip British Empire forces.

nitestalker 01-27-2013 12:32 PM

How can you have a list of WWII Rifles and leave out the Mauser Mdl.98?:D
And even the Brits were using Jap Arisakas left over from WWI.:)

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1112041)
How can you have a list of WWII Rifles and leave out the Mauser Mdl.98?:D
And even the Brits were using Jap Arisakas left over from WWI.:)

Nightstalker, check the title of the video. The video is not about a "list of WWII rifles" nor about rifles picked up or captured...

:)

Next time you might want to watch at least the first few minutes of a video posted...

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1111595)
They just dont impress me as a shooter.

It's hit or miss when you buy a Mosin, plus you have to consider:

The lousy trigger.
The terrible iron sights.

Master the trigger and the sights and ... the accuracy is actually quite good, most of the time.

But, for $120 and change, where else can you get an authentic WWII era battle rifle that shoots relatively inexpensive ammo that you know was one of the rifles, or at least one of the kind of rifles, the Soviets used to defeat the Nazi powers and help bring down Nazi Germany during WWII.

Plus, if you get a M44 Carbine version of the 91/30 you won't get more "bang" for your buck anywhere!

Amsdorf 01-27-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 1111934)
I have shot an M1 Garand and would like to have one of my own someday :)

Word of advice:

Get one now, they are not getting any cheaper.

Buy directly from the Civilian Marksmanship Program, where you will have the best rifles and assurance of their function and quality. You can pick up a nice "service grade" still for around $700, including shipping.

nitestalker 01-27-2013 12:44 PM

No one every picked up a Mdl.98 Mauser?:confused: