Attic Find
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Attic Find

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Attic Find

So, I found this old rifle not too long ago while helping my Grandmother clean out her attic. She hasn't been up there in years, and this was sitting in the back, covered in dust, next to an oooooold Sears and Roebuck 12 gauge (both were my grandfather's). I figured Italian of some kind maybe? I know its a 25-06. Looks almost like it could be a Carcano, but honestly... I have no clue. She let me take both of them home. (woot!)

Dad says I should just pitch it to the gunsmith and see what he'll give me in credit, but I'm kind of a history buff, and enjoy keeping things in the family. Problem is, I know next to nothing about restoring old rifles. But I'm willing to give it a go.

First thing's first... What the hell is it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I dunno' what it is. But if it was your Grandfathers, I'm glad you're going to keep it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Very nice find. Don't know what it is but it looks like it doesn't need a whole lot of cleaning up.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Nice find, Jynx. I would say it is a rifle...

Are there anyother markings on it? Can't really see what it says on the top flat above the numbering. I wish I could help you more, but I'm sure someone her can. Maybe C3shooter or that BillM guy who stops by from time to time.

Looks like a great project and if you don't want it, send it to me.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is very nice and I do hope you decide to keep it in the family.

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gee, thanks Skull

There are, but I can't quite read them.

On the bolt:
KBGK
25-06

On the stock, it looks like it has "8G 2750" etched in, along with a "DP" (I think)

and I think it says "TRRNI" on the barrel.

Other than that, I can't make anything out.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shi suggested I pull the bolt and look under it for more markings, which I did. Nothing. He says its a Terni.

I shot a PM out to c3shooter an jpatterson since I was told they were the men to talk to. Any more takers?

Last edited by Jynx; 07-08-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It looks to me like the 2506 on the bolt might just be serial numbers and not actually the chambering.
Sorry I can't help id, but congrats on your cool attic find!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #10

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
It looks to me like the 2506 on the bolt might just be serial numbers and not actually the chambering.
Sorry I can't help id, but congrats on your cool attic find!
Not necessarily:

The 25-06, originally a wildcat cartridge, was picked up by Remington and added to their commercial line late in 1969. The wildcat version dates back to 1920, when it was introduced by A. O. Niedner. Remington has stuck to the original configuration of simply necking down the 30-06 case. The remington Model 700 series bolt action rifles were the first to be offered in this newly adopted caliber. At the present time Remington, Intraarms, Ruger, Savage, Winchester, Weatherby, Sako and almost every other manufacturer of bolt action rifles offer at least one version in 25-06. In addition, the Ruger single shot is available in this caliber. Since its commercial introduction, the 25-06 Remington has become a very popular number.

25-06 Remington

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington