Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Arisaka Type 99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Don't believe everything you read on forums.
Your rifle was property of the Emperor, as such the sights and dust cover would not have been thrown away by a Japanese soldier. Most likely it was thrown away by a G.I..
As far as safety of the action, P.O. Ackley (I believe) tested a lot of Arisakas and found their actions to be very strong.
You done good based on the price you paid for it.
Other sources of info can be found on surplusrifleforum.com

Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you Rufus! You wouldn't have thought so when I found it. Whoever had it before didn't appreciate what they had. But when I saw the mum, I knew I had to have it! I bought it for $90, it looked that bad.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you Charlie. Do you think I should try to replace the dust cover, or leave as is?
LOL! If I shoot it, it will only be once or twice, just to ensure it works. I just love having the history!
I just wish I knew what the numbers meant! They must be important, they're inscribed three times. I truly thought (and hoped!) they were a Marine's serials. = (

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #14

Liked 1663 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 2430

Quote:
Your rifle was property of the Emperor, as such the sights and dust cover would not have been thrown away by a Japanese soldier.
Uh, no. i had numerous career USMC and US Army friends who fought Japanese troops in places like Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and the Phillipines. Japanese troops often threw away the bolt covers because they clattered when the bolt was operated, giving their position away. Some of my friends complained because it was so hard to find a nice souvenir rifle with a bolt cover.

Most of my friends who fought in WWII are gone now.

Last edited by alsaqr; 08-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you alsaqr. I didn't know that! Would you try to find the/a dust cover, or would you leave it as is?
I know what you mean. I grew up in a VA hospital. That's one reason I want to collect pieces like this. The history should be preserved and cherished! I'd love to find a BAR, because that's what my great-grandfather carried.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdouglas View Post
Thank you Charlie. Do you think I should try to replace the dust cover, or leave as is?
LOL! If I shoot it, it will only be once or twice, just to ensure it works. I just love having the history!
I just wish I knew what the numbers meant! They must be important, they're inscribed three times. I truly thought (and hoped!) they were a Marine's serials. = (
The dust covers were serialized to the rifle. You may find one, but the odds of finding one that matches your rifle are slim to none. go to www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php/...
They might be able to help you out. They have a section on Japanese rifles.

Last edited by crazycharlie2; 08-10-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Uh, no. i had numerous career USMC and US Army friends who fought Japanese troops in places like Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and the Phillipines. Japanese troops often threw away the bolt covers because they clattered when the bolt was operated, giving their position away. Some of my friends complained because it was so hard to find a nice souvenir rifle with a bolt cover.

Most of my friends who fought in WWII are gone now.
Believe what you want. This tale has been told over and over. Not worth arguing over.
Sorry about your friends and mine who have passed on from all wars. I wish I had talked with more of them. Some day I will be proudly joining them.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #18

Liked 2225 Times on 1445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdouglas
Thank you alsaqr. I didn't know that! Would you try to find the/a dust cover, or would you leave it as is?
I know what you mean. I grew up in a VA hospital. That's one reason I want to collect pieces like this. The history should be preserved and cherished! I'd love to find a BAR, because that's what my great-grandfather carried.
Ohio ordinance works. Got $$$$$$?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

OK, for ammo, I have friends who can get me Hornady 7.7 for about $15.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #20

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdouglas View Post
Thank you Rufus! You wouldn't have thought so when I found it. Whoever had it before didn't appreciate what they had. But when I saw the mum, I knew I had to have it! I bought it for $90, it looked that bad.
90$?,with an intact mum and aircraft rear bar sights ,you stole it man , worth more than ya think with an intact mum and aa sights still intact that is one i would just shoot and leave alone.I have two an uncle brought back check em out on arisaka for 200.oo thread, both had mums removed before he got em in 1945 japan,but very straight shooting guns im able to get 1.5 moa out of em with handload,s .I collected all my 7.7 brass over the yr,s of shooting them as they were before i touched em at all,norma ,s&b, and hornady make,s load,s for them and i just kept saving the brass and neck size only for each rifle now.amazingly accurate.,shot many a deer with them in tenn and ky ,i love the 7.7 round if ya handload em you can get amazingly good accuracy out of such a simple but robust design.And pretty much stack,s up with the .308 ballistically when hand loaded.