Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Arisaka Type 99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Arisaka Type 99

I recently picked up a Arisaka Type 99 at auction. To me, it looks almost perfect. Granted, it's seen it's share of rough times, but I love it. From research I've done, it was made at the Toyo Kogyo arsenal of the 30 Series. I believe a Marine captured it, because he inscribed (what I think) is his serial on it three times. It says, I believe, "OR 1746743 DV3". If anybody else knows anything more, please tell me! I really want facts/opinions on this. Plus, what you think it's worth. I don't intend to ever sell it, I'm putting together a display.

img_1572-1-.jpg   img_1573-1-.jpg   img_1574-1-.jpg   img_1575-1-.jpg   img_1641.jpg  

img_1644.jpg   img_1646.jpg   img_1647.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdouglas View Post
I recently picked up a Arisaka Type 99 at auction. To me, it looks almost perfect. Granted, it's seen it's share of rough times, but I love it. From research I've done, it was made at the Toyo Kogyo arsenal of the 30 Series. I believe a Marine captured it, because he inscribed (what I think) is his serial on it three times. It says, I believe, "OR 1746743 DV3". If anybody else knows anything more, please tell me! I really want facts/opinions on this. Plus, what you think it's worth. I don't intend to ever sell it, I'm putting together a display.
Looks like you are missing the bolt cover, a sliding cover that helped keep ity clean. It's easy to load the 7.7 Jap using 30-06 brass, 312 bullets. and are a good shooter. The safety can be troublsum until you learn how to use your thumb on it. I used to load the 7.7 and the 6.5Jap but you cannot make brass for the 6.5. I always liked the 6.5 round. I need to add that the early Ariskas were very strong actions but as the war grew on, the became a little dangerous. The 38 is very simular.They were a lot of them around after the war, but are getting rare. You have a nice specimen. It has the so called AIRCRAFT sight also..Good find if you are into Military collecting.

Last edited by sarg1c; 08-07-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8413 Times on 3646 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

The intact mum WOULD indicate a rifle captured before the fall of Japan. Ater surrender, the Mums were ground off as token of respect to the Emperor. Values- go over to gunbroker.com (you will need to register) then do a COMPLETED AUCTIONS search- see what they sold for, look at pics, compare theirs to yours.

Oh- some reading on Japanese rifles in general.....http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/jap2.html

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 08-07-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice find. I have one that my father-in-law brought back in WWII that has a defaced Mum. You have the aircraft sights and the undamaged mum which makes it more valuable. The first things that the Japanese soldiers did when receiving these rifles was to lose the dust cover and the monopod, both of which your rifle lacks. IMO the fact that your rifle has the unmarred Mum makes it a rarer and more valuable example of the type 99.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Liked 1083 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Nice Arisaka & a intact mum, that`s a keeper............

When all else fails.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you! My family had a lot of guys in different theaters and branches, so I'm slowly but surely trying to do a display with names and pictures, and then weapons underneath. So I am a bit of a collector, I'm just not very knowledgeable. That's why I came to you!
When I found it, the weapon looked terrible. Took me three days to get it cleaned up! But when I saw it had the mum, I knew I had to have it! Best part, I only paid $90 for it!!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #7

Default 6.5 brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg1c View Post
Looks like you are missing the bolt cover, a sliding cover that helped keep ity clean. It's easy to load the 7.7 Jap using 30-06 brass, 312 bullets. and are a good shooter. The safety can be troublsum until you learn how to use your thumb on it. I used to load the 7.7 and the 6.5Jap but you cannot make brass for the 6.5. I always liked the 6.5 round. I need to add that the early Ariskas were very strong actions but as the war grew on, the became a little dangerous. The 38 is very simular.They were a lot of them around after the war, but are getting rare. You have a nice specimen. It has the so called AIRCRAFT sight also..Good find if you are into Military collecting.

I beg to differ, but 6.5 Arisaka brass can easily be made from .30-06 brass. Redding makes a form and trim die in 6.5 Japanese (from Midway USA for around $50). Slowly run the 06 brass through the die, trim off, with a hacksaw, what is protruding from the top of the die, file it smooth, chamfer and deburr, run it through a 6.5 Japanese full length sizing die, and you have fully functional 6.5 brass ready to reload. I do this very thing to make 6.5x55 Swedish brass from .30-06 brass and the 6.5x55 is similar to the 6.5 Japanese, so I know it will work. It may not be cost effective and it is a little work (but not as much as it sounds) but it can easily be done.
cottontop

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

When we were loading the 6.5Jap a few years ago, there were no dies that would form the 6.5 Jep from 30-06 cases. 7.7 Japs yes. with the 30-06 case being .23 smaller at the base than the 6.5 Jap, seems like it would be too small at the base...With .23 smaller base and oversized chamber, you may be looking at.25-.26 difference. Fire forming the case would expand but not the base? The case would have to kept centered in the chamber also. The swedish only .6 larger may work. with 30-06 brass, remember the Jap made their chambers oversized so as to be able to load dirty brass...I heard of people trying to different things but one must be careful. with the 7.7 it's quite simple. one pass in die, trim. be sure to mark or keep them seperated from your 30-06 ammo.

Last edited by sarg1c; 08-09-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

The 6.5 jap is a good round, only drawback to it was that no commercial arms manufacturing co ever chambered their product for it. . Had they done so it would be a lot more popular today.I liked it and loaded it when I could afford the cases Some brass can be found but it's not cheap.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

blackdouglas, that Arisaka is a good one! I wish I could find one like that. Intact mum and the AA sights. May I ask what $ you paid for it?

Rufus