Arisaka Thread - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Arisaka Thread


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,899
Liked 927 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

Default

What kind do you want a Type 38 or 99?
The earlier T38 is in 6.5x50, and available as a long rifle, 2 carbines (one has a attached bayonet, the Type 44)
Theres the Type 99 in 7.7x58, in long and short rifles.. The long ones are kinda rare, the production was dropped in favor for the shorter rifle, which became the "standard"
There are differences in T99's.. The early ones have a dust cover, monopod, and Anti-aircraft sights. (Most are missing the dust cover and monopod, they were noisy and rattled) Later ones, known as "simplified" rifles are lacking parts that were "unnecessary" the A-A sight arms, dust covers, and monopods (but still have the mount) The last of the T99's are the "substitute" ("Last ditch") rifles, they were just being made as fast as they could, and are extremely crude. (Makes a Mosin look like a Weatherby.. ) Most have unfinished metal, visible welds, just a fixed rear sight, no dust cover, no monopod mount, wooden buttplates, etc..... There is a big debate to if the "last ditch" are safe to fire or not.. I dont know, I stay away from those just because of how crude they are...

The Arisaka family of rifles are one of the strongest mil-surps out there. Look for the same things as any other mil-surp.. Make sure its not a smoothbore trainer..
As far as collectibility, matching numbers are more desired than the "mum" I personally try to find "mums" because its more likely a battlefield pickup. The Mum was defaced by the Japanese solders before they surrendered or by American ones after they were captured..

I think the stock is finished with Uragshi (sp? )
What ever they come with is a bonus... Slings, bayonet frogs, cleaning rods, and dust covers are the hardest things to find.. Seems most of the G.I's just threw all stuff away when they brought the rifle back..
__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Trez, If I'm ever in Arizona, your going to have to show me where you keep finding those Arisakas. All the one's I can find look like they have been drug through a swamp, and used as a hammer. I can never find them cheap like you either.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,899
Liked 927 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Trez, If I'm ever in Arizona, your going to have to show me where you keep finding those Arisakas. All the one's I can find look like they have been drug through a swamp, and used as a hammer. I can never find them cheap like you either.
I paid a little more than I wanted to on this one ($400), but it was so nice and came with the bayonet & frog..

I might show you where I get them.. Maybe....

If you're interested in a project I might have a Type 38 carbine.. I havent decided what to do with it yet.. I have a barreled receiver, I think its too nice to part out, but it needs a bolt and stock...
__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TDS92A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Posts: 2,363
Liked 1696 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 4120

Default

All of these choices!!!!

I will have to look again at the one in the store that I shop at and see which model it is.

Either way, you have given me some good info for making a decision.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
What kind do you want a Type 38 or 99?
The earlier T38 is in 6.5x50, and available as a long rifle, 2 carbines (one has a attached bayonet, the Type 44)
Theres the Type 99 in 7.7x58, in long and short rifles.. The long ones are kinda rare, the production was dropped in favor for the shorter rifle, which became the "standard"
There are differences in T99's.. The early ones have a dust cover, monopod, and Anti-aircraft sights. (Most are missing the dust cover and monopod, they were noisy and rattled) Later ones, known as "simplified" rifles are lacking parts that were "unnecessary" the A-A sight arms, dust covers, and monopods (but still have the mount) The last of the T99's are the "substitute" ("Last ditch") rifles, they were just being made as fast as they could, and are extremely crude. (Makes a Mosin look like a Weatherby.. ) Most have unfinished metal, visible welds, just a fixed rear sight, no dust cover, no monopod mount, wooden buttplates, etc..... There is a big debate to if the "last ditch" are safe to fire or not.. I dont know, I stay away from those just because of how crude they are...

The Arisaka family of rifles are one of the strongest mil-surps out there. Look for the same things as any other mil-surp.. Make sure its not a smoothbore trainer..
As far as collectibility, matching numbers are more desired than the "mum" I personally try to find "mums" because its more likely a battlefield pickup. The Mum was defaced by the Japanese solders before they surrendered or by American ones after they were captured..

I think the stock is finished with Uragshi (sp? )
What ever they come with is a bonus... Slings, bayonet frogs, cleaning rods, and dust covers are the hardest things to find.. Seems most of the G.I's just threw all stuff away when they brought the rifle back..
__________________
The difficult I do immediately, the impossible takes me a few minutes longer.
NRA, U.S. Army (Ret), AGA, F&AM
A Person has to stand for something, or they will fall for anything.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
TDS92A is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I paid a little more than I wanted to on this one ($400), but it was so nice and came with the bayonet & frog..

I might show you where I get them.. Maybe....

If you're interested in a project I might have a Type 38 carbine.. I havent decided what to do with it yet.. I have a barreled receiver, I think its too nice to part out, but it needs a bolt and stock...
I have a few projects I need to finish now, but maybe next year I could do that if you decide to sell. How much are you wanting?
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
marysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: No. California
Posts: 103
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Nice example of the Kokura 24th series. The evolution (or devolution if you prefer) from the Type 99 standard to subsititute-standard was a progressive thing. The Kokura 25th series was much cruder than the 24th. This photo comparison I did some time back shows a very early (Nagoya 3rd series) and a Kokura 25th series. Both are excellent, matching, unmessed with examples, save for ground mums. It gives a good idea just how far south things had gone by War's end.

The original stock finish was Urushi, which is made from the sap of a sumac tree native to Japan. If you are going to disturb the finish, wear protection in case your skin is sensitive to sumac.
__________________
worldbayonets.com | Bayonet Collector's Network (BCN) | Society of American Bayonet Collectors | Life Member NRA | C & R 03 FFL

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov
marysdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Arisaka k-9155 General Rifle Discussion 7 01-31-2012 12:40 AM
Help with my Arisaka..... Trez Curio & Relic Discussion 5 10-08-2011 02:44 PM
arisaka 6.5 tonydewar General Rifle Discussion 4 08-26-2011 01:59 AM
Arisaka Justen.223 Curio & Relic Discussion 42 11-28-2009 04:38 AM
Arisaka easterner123 Curio & Relic Discussion 17 02-08-2009 11:58 PM



Newest Threads